Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New FF Nikon?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:38 am 

Hi folks,

Here's a news article to gladden you hearts if you yearn for a more affordable FF Nikon. Let's hope it's true.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:05 pm 

Nice pointer, nice article.
The question is whether Nikon will do the high-end-studio-25MPix body first and what resolution the high-end-enthusiast-FX body will have:1 2MPix like the D3 or 25MPix like the a.m. body?!
Me, personally, would hardly be enticed by a FX-body that crops my DX-lenses to 5MPix. That's certainly a bad porposition...
At a 25MPix-FX-sensor the DX-crop will have 10MPix, mwhich is at least not worse than my current D80

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:10 pm 
There's an interesting bit on that page, that talks about something I hadn't realised yet.

Why is the professional market dominated by Canon?

Nikon and Canon took divergent strategies with their full-frame SLRs. Canon made the move first, beginning in 2002, when many fewer professionals had made the move from film to digital. That meant that group was better able to preserve their investment in lenses geared for 35mm film.

It looks like this was a bad move by Nikon (and a smart one by Canon). Could the explanation actually be that simple? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:41 pm 
This was a very comprehensive and informative article. I was struck by the statement:

“…SLR owners can turn into long-term customers because the incompatibility of other companies' lenses and camera bodies makes it expensive to change brands.”

This seems especially true for 4/3 owners. This unique format offers unique advantages, but locks customers into brand identification (with few exceptions). The upcoming Panasonic L10 will have only 2 fully compatible (with IS) lenses, according to peviews.

------

In a following comment I found this statement:

“Nikon sells more DSLRs than Canon does (contrary to popular
opinion)…”

He explained that it did not hold true for high-end DSLRs, however. Everything I’ve read prior to this indicated that Nikon was struggling to keep up with Canon, in every way, including sales.

Thanks Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:54 pm 
Why does the D3 operate at 5mp with DX. With the DX format having a 1.5 FOV crop wouldn't that make it 8mp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:11 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
Why does the D3 operate at 5mp with DX. With the DX format having a 1.5 FOV crop wouldn't that make it 8mp?

An FX sensor is: 4256 x 2832 = 12052992 = 12.1 megapixels

A DX sensor is: 2784 x 1848 = 5144832 = 5.1 megapixels

What you have to do is apply the 1.5 factor to the horizontal and vertical sizes of the sensor, not to the area.

Thus, ( 4256 / 1.5 ) x ( 2832 / 1.5 ) is about the same as 2784 x 1848.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:41 pm 
Ahh right! Thanks for the clarification.