Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:01 am 
The main purpose for my purchase will be taking pictures of jumping children on a trampoline. Mostly from close distance.
I hesitate between the Nikon D80 and the Canon 400D.
I hope someone can give me interesting comment, tips and experience. Also what the lenses are concerned, tips are welcome.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:17 pm 

Well wimtrampoline,

posting in the Nikon section of this forum, you really do not expect anybody to suggest the Canon over the Nikon, don't you ?:twisted:?
But I can wholeheartedly recommend the D80, especially as it is a fantastic body for shooting with high ISO. I'll repeat myself once again: This Nikon has an almost filmlike grain at ISO 1600 - I love it.
Why is this important: Well, I assume you will not shot children which are just sitting quietly on the trampoline. So normally you have them jumping aroung, doing lots of high speed, high adrenaline jumps etc. That's where you need fast shutter speeds, thus high ISO values.
The next big benefit for you is the excellent Nikkor 18-200: you'll have always the right lens mounted and don't have to bother switching lenses and loosing valuable time in this action oriented shooting. Plus you have enough of a wide angle (18mm is equivalent to 27mm on a 35mm film camera) to get close to the action.
You will love this superb combination!

Post subject: D80
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:18 pm 
thanks a lot for your comment. I'm not familiar with forums and it was indeed not smart to post my question on the Nikon part. Thanks for telling this.
Will the 17-135mm new lens of Nikon be good enough for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:28 pm 

Don't worry, wintrampoline!

All the people in this forum are extremely friendly, and sometimes even a Nikonian posts on the Canon forum and vice versa 8)
As to your question: there is no Nikon 17-135, but a AF-S DX 18-135mm 3.5-5.6G IF-ED (which b.t.w. is also sold as a kit lens with the D80 for around 950 Euro excl. VAT). That's also ok, because for you action shots you need more the shorter length to get a dramatic perspective.
You can find a review of this lens at http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showprod ... 993/cat/13