Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC

Canon or Nikon for first timer?
Canon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nikon 100%  100%  [ 5 ]
other (must have VERY good reason and explain) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:29 am 
I am a Student with an intrest in photography. I currently have a Kodak z740 5 megapixel camera, which I have outgrown. In the last year (it was a christmas present) the picture count has gone from zero to at least 10,000. (mostly due to the nessity to take muyltiple shots to end up with one that was both in focus and good color/white balance on a kodak point and shoot) I love to photograph trips as wel as family events. I particularly like photographing people and buildings and things in nature. I am Bumping up to an SLR, and have narrowed it down to the D80 and XTi, but am leaning to the D80 due to several qualities standard to most DSLRs that Canon has not incorporated into the rebel line, or had dropped on the XTi.

A couple of these are:
No spot meter on ANY rebels.
No top LCD for settings.
questionable sensor quality on the new rebel (acording to Cnet)
as well as others seemingly common to many reviews I have read.

Also, the XTi seemed a little small to me, but I am still open to that option as I am willing to sacrifice short term quality for future usefullnes. I am looking to spend no more than 1000 dollars on the body and no more than 150 on the first lens, (which is only to get me through to my birthday when I will upgrade the lens).

Chosing the brand is important now because I plan on building a lens collection that grows over time. I would appreciate if anyone could help me make this decision, and also guide me to resources about lenses and brand choice regarding lenses, as there is plenty of info on bodies but none I can find about lenses. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:24 am 

I faced the same decision as you. I had narrowed it down to the Canon EOS 400D (Rebel Xti) and Nikon D80. In the end I went for the D80 with the 18-70mm kit lens. My reasons for deciding on the Nikon were:

1. It felt better in my hands than the Canon
2. I liked the large screen plus the top LCD
3. You can shoot RAW in all modes
4. It felt better built than the 400D
5. The 18-70mm kit lens has a better reputation than the 18-55mm Canon kit lens

In the end points 1 and 5 were the real clinchers for me.

Your have budgeted $1150 for body and lens. I'm not sure if you can get a Nikon kit for that. I paid £699 ($1377.41) for mine. The UK is usually more expensive than the US though (I assume that's where you are).

You also need to budget for the following items which are more or less essential:

1. Memory cards - I bought 2 2Gb Sandisk Extreme III
2. Camera bag - you need to carry your new kit around in something secure
3. UV filter - worth getting to protect the front of your new lens
4. Dust blower and lens cloth - you will need to keep your camera and lens clean

I've spent another $400 on extras for mine including all that I listed above plus a spare battery, wireless remote and a camera rucksack.

I'd like to comment on what I've found so far when actually using the camera but since it is a Christmas present, I've only taken 6 photos with it to test that it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:42 pm 

I think the D80 just fits into your budget.
Go, get it.
I just shot a series of macro photographs at ISO 1600 (to get to an f-stop of at least 22) and I am once again totally satisfied with the filmlike grain you get at higher ISO with this camera/sensor.
I value this very high! Remember higher ISO means smaller aperture and/or higher shutter speeds. Both absolutely essential in many situations. Because no amount of postprocessing is giving you more depth of field or will sharpen a blurred image.