Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:14 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi everyone, just a quick update to let you know I've finally posted my video tour of the Nikon D5000!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon ... view.shtml

Hi Gordon -- great video tour, as always. Slightly off-topic, but now that the D5000 review is complete, should we be expecting your full review of the GH1 anytime soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

That review is coming soon, but I can't say when...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:17 am 

Does Gordon wear a winter cap when behind the camera? Reflections from the D5000 LCD screen on the video got me curious. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Good spot!

It's actually very very cold here, and remember we're in Winter in the Southern Hemisphere right now. So yes, when I'm not in front of the camera, I'm wearing a beanie and multiple jumpers. On a practical note, it also minimises reflections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:10 am 
Given the fact that I had waited almost 30 years to find a camera that I could actually operate (I have a disability) I was delighted to discover I could manage the D5000. There are a few settings I can't manage but most of them I can. It may be that I would be losing out if I bought a more advanced model and was unable to use a lot of the settings so this model is ideal for me and I love it.

For most of those years I was unable to operate any camera until compact digitals came along recently so you can understand how I felt when I found out I could manage a DSLR, I was delighted.

I have no complaint with the D5000 at all, my problem is with Nikon. I unwittingly bought my D5000 when there was a known fault with them.. the start-up fault. I say unwittingly but I was in fact warned not to buy one by a customer in the store at the time I was making the purchase.

As I registered the product right away I was disappointed to be informed about this fault a couple of months after purchase. Had I been informed about it within 30 days I could have taken it back for a refund. Anyway, I was told to send it to an authorised Nikon repairer which I have done and was told by that particular repairer the repair would take approximately two weeks.

It is now five weeks since I sent it in and they are still apparently waiting for a part. Why ask to send it in when there are no parts available?

I was to go on holiday last week to my brother's in the Highlands to get some landscape shots and cancelled it as I had no camera so it was pointless going.

I contacted Nikon 10 days ago with my complaint and am still awaiting a reply.

I was delighted with the camera but I am very very disappointed with the customer service. If there is a favourable outcome I will come back here and say so.

To anyone thinking of buying the D5000, I would recommend it but before you hand over your cash, get the store to check the serial number on the Nikon UK website to see if the camera is a potential faulty one or not. It's a case of typing it in and and clicking submit and it will tell you if it's a good one or a bad one. The potential faulty ones shouldn't be on sale at all in my opinion, they should be repaired first and sold as refurbs.

* EDIT>> My camera has been returned almost 8 weeks after sending it in. I have not had a single reply from Nikon UK up to 14/11/2009 and had sent my mail to them by special delivery

Last edited by shire on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: D5000 start-up failure
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:07 am 
I have done quite a bit of research on cameras at this price point, and I really want to purchase the nikon d5000, as it would fit my applications. However, I am wary when I read about many people having the startup failure issue and subsequent service issues. I live in an area of the U.S. that does not have any camera shops in close proximity, so I would almost definitely need to buy my new camera online. With an online purchase there is no way, that I am aware, of checking the serial number of the potential new purchase. How would I know if my potential new camera may be a lemon? Please give me your thoughts on what may be a good solution.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:42 am 
The best I can offer is to buy from a reputable online camera retailer, preferably one that has a live chat facilty or a telephone number so you can ask a question about it and if they can guarantee the serial number is not on the 'bad' list. Ask them to confirm by email that it's not a bad one so you have proof. Pay by credit card so that any hassles and you can make a claim to get your money back. Personally if I had to buy online I'd make sure that the company also had stores throught the country so that if it came down to it you could drive to one of them even if it's a great distance, then at least you can make your demands face to face with someone who is real and can't avoid you.

EDIT> I would just like to add that my camera has just been returned this very minute. :D :D :D

That's 3 days short of 2 months for a 2 week fix. While I'm delighted to have it back, I'm extremely disappointed with Nikon for not replying to me in those 2 months. I sent mail by special delivery at a cost of £4.95 a time. Though I have my camera back I still intend pursuing my complaint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:46 am 

Hello flamdrag8, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
1. buy form a reputable dealer which immediately takes the body back, should it have the prob.
2. wait 2-3 months until affected inventory is cleared out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:49 am 
Thanks for the welcome! I read the rules and will do my best to comply. I just purchased the d5000. It should arrive in the next few days. I am very excited about my purchase. I try to post my first impressions when I have had some time with it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:39 am 
I was considering jumping onto the DSLR band-wagon, and my top option is the D5000. However when reading more on user reviews, i noticed a lot of flack on the recalls and the useless liveview implementation.

Since the problems with the on-off switch was way back in aug or before i thought that the current items available for sale would have these issues fixed, but even customers who ordered last month seem to be having the issue.

The problem is that the camera is NOT available in my country (Sri Lanka), and hence i was hoping to have a friend of mine bring it to me from the states. Hearing these problems i am now thinking of opting for my second option the Olympus E-620 or the Canon 450D (XSi).

Appreciate if someone can clarify if the current stock sold have these problems fixed or is it a matter of luck. I will be buying my camera from Amazon since thats the only store that takes plastic cards that have billing addresses outside the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:30 am 
I have received my d5000, and I am very pleased. After speaking with some different Nikon dealers, I felt it was ok to purchase the d5000. I have heard that all models 32***** and up are fine. I must say that mine works great! I am very impressed with the image quality and usability of my new camera. I highly recommend it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:22 am 
Good news then. You can check your serial number yourself on the nikon website of the country you live in but I'm pretty sure they will be all okay by now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:58 pm 
Hi all!
Can anyone give me any advice on the 18-105 wich is provided in a kit?
If it isn't bad, I'd choose it instead of the basic 18-55mm. Thanks.

Melges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:04 pm 
Hey. Does anyone feel held back by this camera?
I am pretty competant with dslrs and will be ignoring auto mode and the scene presets.
I'm planning to use full manual most of the time, is this camera good with doing that, and does it have enough features to last a couple years?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:17 am 
I read that this camera misses the depth of field preview button.

What does that actually mean? Can't I tell the DOF from looking through the optical viewfinder (excuse the stupid question)?

In order to isolate a subject with the 18-105mm (this should be possible, right?) Kit lens, would I simply choose a high aperture and hope for the best or do I somehow see the DOF before I take the shot? Again, sorry for the stupid question.

Secondly, is the optical viewfinder really that small? I guess it is something that must be judged personally.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next