Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikkor 18-135mm
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:47 am 
I was wondering if this lens is worth the extra cash if I do upgrade to the D80 instead of the D200, because I was thinking with this lens I could sell my D40 as a used kit. So if one of my friends decided to buy my used D40 kit, I could get say $500 and then I have the 55-200mm VR. I could get almost full price for this, becasue it is new and in perfect condition. I am just wondering, if I were to sell my 2 lenses seperate, I could have enough to buy the 18-135mm with extra cash left over from the SB-600. I am speaking hypotheticaly, I do not know if I would actually do this, but I want to know what you guys think, should I keep my 18-55mm + 55-200mm VR, or sell them to get the 18-135mm? I know it doesn't have VR like my 55-200mm but is it all that necessary for 135mm? This would reduce the dust in my sensor and I wouldn't have to change lenses and miss out on a great shot.If I do buy it would the next best supplementary lens be the 70-300mm VR or maybe, this is what I really want because I am into wide-angle the Sigma 10-20mm, because I really do not have that need to of 300mm, where as the wide-angle is cheaper and more useful to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:16 am 
If there are any tests, etc, you would like me to do with the 18-135, I'd be happy to. as it's sitting next to me.

P.S Next time could you use paragraphs? :P Makes it easier to read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:26 am 
Yeah, sorry about that I was in a rush, I can use paragraphs now though.haha. :lol:

1)The only things I can really think of for you to test would be, blur at 135mm, about what is the slowest shutter speed you can use with out getting blur?

2)Build quality, is it any different than the kit or 55-200mm VR?

3)IQ, is it sharp and produce vivd or good colors?

4)Is it worth the money, and in my case the trouble of selling both my lenses to get it?

5)Last but not least, will it AF on the D40?I am tinking it does but would like to be sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:06 am 
It's AF-S so it will autofocus in a D40 :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:16 am 
Site Admin

Hi Nathan, I presume you've seen this article, right?

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... roup_test/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:55 am 
Personally, I think 135mm is at the range where VR would be helpful. At least that's what I found.

Out of interest, why don't you want to keep the 55-200mm VR for use on the D80?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:35 am 
Just for the sake of ease. I would like not to have to change lenses as much becasue I have missed plenty of good shots becasue I didn't have a wider focal lenght or something on my body at the moment.

The 18-135, although not as good as the 200mm, has still an ok focal length, and I don' usually shoot something where I would need more than 200mm. The one thing I could use, like I said, would be a sigma 10-20mm but that is irrelevant to the subject.

It would reduce the dust that gets in the sensor and save me a lot of trouble and missed shots.

Gordon, I am not sure I will check it out right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:36 am 
Gordon, yeah I have read that, but I will read it again because when I read it I wasn't buying any of those lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:46 am 

I'm happy with my 18-135mm lens. The only real downside for me is camera shake, but then that's a a problem that I particularly have to deal with. The lens is pretty sharp at all focal lengths. Build-wise it's the same deal as with the 18-55mm kit lens. Of all the kit lenses the 18-70mm is the best, from what I've read from others. I know the build quality is quite a bit better.

I have to say though, I'm confused as to what you're actually looking for. I've had a look at your pictures and from what I've seen you're doing really great work right now. If I was you I'd be looking for faster lenses, rather than different focal ranges. Unfortunately for fast read expensive, with the exception of the 50mm f1.8D, which is a superb optic at a bargain price.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:05 pm 
I know, it just that is is a lot easier than missing shots die to changing lenses. I also have the 50mm f/1.8 on my list and since it is only like $100 I might go and buy it after the SB-600, I will have almost enough so it should take only a week or two to get the money.

My main focus however is not the 18-135, this is just to hear everyones thoughts, this is not what I plan on doing, I am just gonna pick up the SB-600 this weekend and then start saving up for a new body.

Thanks for the compliments on my work, Zorro your pictures are great too. The HDR shots are phenomenal.