Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:34 pm 

Many of you probably know this. Nikon metering is different from other cameras in that unless you chose to set AE Lock to ON (No. 19 on D80) in your custom menu when you half-press and hold the shutter the exposure does not lock. It will still change if the light changes or if you recompose before fully pressing the shutter. Martrix however, appears to be unique in that instead of simply taking a new reading if the exposure changes it averages the original exposure and the new one. Center and Spot do no do this, but simply adjust fully to the new reading.

For example, if you Matrix meter a bright area at 1/1000 and half press the shutter then meter a darker area at 1/60 (about four f/stops apart) the matrix meter will then average them to around 1/250 (about 2 f/stops from 1/60 and from 1/1000). I have set my D80 so that AE Lock is not ON and have set No. 18 AE-L/AF-L to AE Lock Hold. Thus I can matrix meter a bright area of the scene, half press the shutter and then meter a darker area of the scene (or vice versa it makes no difference) then pres the AE-L button to lock the average meter reading, recompose and take the picture.

I believe the matrix meter works this way on other Nikon cameras, such as the D50 and D70.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:04 am 
Site Admin

Hi Frank, that's a great tip! I'll check it out on my next Nikon test...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:31 am 

Thanks Gordon. I also use the center focus point on the subject and often then recompose (without using AE-L). So the two readings are with the subject centered and the actual scene with the subject de-centered. In this situation the averaging generally reduces somewhat the weight the meter gives to the subject.

I also missed the the fact that when take your first reading focus will lock so you need to focus on the subject or or an area at the same distance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:06 pm 

Oh boy, this sounds complicated to me!
If I have to think more about the metering and some tricks to deceive it than about the picture composition, I would not really be happy...