Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Deal or no deal?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:31 am 
I've found 2 packages that I am considering and just after outside opinions.

1st) Nikon D80 with 18-135mm for around $1400-$1450AUS minor extras such as 1GB card

2nd) Nikon D80 with 18-200mm for around $2200AUS with no extras

I know the 18-200mm is better and its my prefered choice but if the package with the 18-135mm is better value for money i may get that. I can't decide. $2200AUS I can afford but it is about 200-300AUS over my budget.

Any suggestions on which is better value at price?

Jay...

Just found a Nikon D80 with Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR IF-ED Lens for $2000, how would this lens restrict me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jay, if you can stretch to the D80 plus 18-200mm, I'd recommend it - great combo... the 18-135mm is a nice kit lens, but it is a kit lens and you may be frustrated you didn't go for the better option when you had the chance!

As for the package prices I can't really say, but if you go to www.xe.com you can compare the prices of similar packages in other regions...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:39 am 
As someone who bought their D80 with the 18-135 kit lens, I would really recommend (if you can) going for the 18-200mm bundle. Especially if you were planning on getting the 18-200mm in the future anyway.

When I could afford it, I upgraded to the 18-200 VR and after I did I really wished that I'd saved a bit more initially and just bought this combo to begin with. The 18-135mm is a good quality kit lens but as soon as you get the 18-200mm, you will realise that the money is so well spent and won't even look back. It will also make your 18-135 completely redundant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:33 am 
Sigh I completely aggree :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:35 am 
I bought the Nikon D80 with the 18-200mm VR lens last night. Bought body and lens individually totaling $2127 all up. Comes with standard in box accessories, no memory card. I went to Ted's camera's (Melbourne, Australia) and they quoted me $2800.

I got it brand new on Ebay and I know its risky buying on ebay but because the saving was so large I decided to take a risk. The item being shipped from Melbourne not Hong Kong. So we shall see what happens. Fingers crossed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:08 am 
Awesome ! Let us know how it goes, and post pics :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:59 am 
Indeed! Good luck and let us know how you get on with it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:01 pm 
Pat on your back mate!...well done..

U wont regret it.. A good mate of mine compromised due to budget restrictions and got the Nikon D40x with the 18-135mm lens...since he tried my 18-200mm, he's tempted to go back and swap and pay extra for the 18-200 VR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:01 pm 
good going jay
i'm also considering the d80 + 18-200mm
which ebayer did you make the transaction with?
i'm also from aust, and its hard to find a good deal thats not from overseas..
do tell how everything went

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:24 pm 
onlysky wrote:
good going jay
i'm also considering the d80 + 18-200mm
which ebayer did you make the transaction with?
i'm also from aust, and its hard to find a good deal thats not from overseas..
do tell how everything went

I bought the body and lens individually from 2 different sellers (Nicell and gadgetman1976, I think). both items were buy it now, didn't bid at all.

Now both items said the shipping location was from Melbourne. I found out yesterday when i received the lens that it was actually shipped from hong kong, however i paid into an Australian account. I think it was an Aussie business ordering from hong kong when they needed it.

Also the body I haven't received yet but in the add it said it was overseas stock posted from Melbourne, which i believe to be true coz it has been sent express through Australia Post. hopefully I will receive it on monday morning. the total price i ended up paying was $2100AUS including the postage which is a bargin, $700 saving.

I my case i was lucky to pay to an australian bank of an australian business so the overseas mambo jumbo didn't matter coz the product is the same (apart from the power plug, which they provide an adapter for) .

However buying direct from hong kong and doing a credit payment or a wire transfer in my books doesn't feel safe. I bought a $1700 guitar from japan about 2 years ago and paid through western union and although in the end it worked out great, the hastles and dramas concerning money made the day i got my guitar a relief, not joyful.

My advice would be monitor ebay for few days and a few different items b4 clicking that all important button. I was watching about 6 or 7 different packages and individual cameras and lens for about 5 or 6 days b4 taking the plunge. I was kicking myself for letting a good deal go but 2 days later i found a better deal and bought it. so yeah just read every word on the add and ask question to the seller. there some good deal with buy it now items not just ones you bid on so have a good look.

Hope I helped :)

Jay...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:36 pm 
I thought that the D80 body cost $1000?
I thought that the 18-200mm VR cost like $800?
You spent $2100...?

You could have got a D200 with 18-200mm VR for $2300...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:18 pm 
Australian dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:54 pm 
okay, sorry shoudl have thought that one through.haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:18 am 
ZING!!!! hahahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:58 am 
sweet~ thanks jay
yeah, i've browsed around ebay a lot for quite sometime and have checked the competitive prices of stores.. ebay's the way to go
..though i've never brought anything over 1000 AUD on ebay let alone 2000 AUD

if you're buying anything imported - you must be be wary of some compromises;
- will you be getting an aust adapter or hk one with aust converter?
- proper english manuals? or photocopied ones?
- whether the box comes with everything in the standard kit or its just semi-pieced together by the wholeseller

nethertheless - have fun with your new toy when it arrives