Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Concert Photography
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:08 am 

I recently purchased a nikon d40 ( about 2 months ago) and have put it through about every situation I can think of with my 18-55mm kit lens. One issue I have had with the lens is taking photos in dark places with moving objects such as rock concerts. I play shows and photograph them frequently so I am looking for a lens that perform well for low light hand held. I was looking at the 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 but it seems to not auto focus with my d40 which seems to be very annoying. does anyone know how this feels in practice when photographing moving people in dark? Also a lens I was thinking would be a great combo to my 18-55 is the 55-200 vr. would this prove to be useful in dark lighting even though it has a f stop of 4? This lens would be great as well for more than just night photography which makes it a plus. The last lens I was contemplating was the sigma 30mm f1.4 . I am really just wanting some opinions on where to spend my money. My main reason for buying a second lens os for concert photography, but also I love outdor shots so a zoom would be just as nice as a stationary lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:31 am 

Firstly, VR won't help you in a dark, music concert situation. It's good for low light but not when the subject is moving (which it most definitely will be if you're talking about a music event). Also, the 55-200mm VR is only f4 at the 55mm end. If you want to zoom in to 200mm, the biggest aperture you'll be able to set will be f5.6.

I've recently purchased the Nikkor 50mm 1.8D lens myself and it's incredibly sharp. For the money it's a fantastic lens. I can't really comment on how easy it is to manually focus in a concert situation though. I would hazard a guess that if you want to use the lens at f1.8 then you'll seriously have to be pin-point accurate/confident in your manual focusing ability. Unfortunately the telephoto zooms that stop to bigger apertures (f2.8 ) are very expensive so they may be out of your price range. You could consider investing in a good flash to get the shutter speed that you need but you'll lose some of the atmosphere in the process.

Having spent 3 years gigging around all manor of horrible venues in London, you'll almost certainly need to use a flash anyway in most situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:25 pm 

When I go take pictures of school concerts, (I'm volunteering to be their photographer) a external or variable output flashgun is pretty essential, also my set-up consists of a Nikkor f/1.4D and SB-800, I'd also prefer teleconverters.

B.T.W. A small aperture can extend the reach of the flash; also take off any diffusers or softeners

Support Cameralabs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:05 pm 

Thanks for all your help guys, but I am taking photos of rock concerts in low light and am trying to capture the mood so a flash is not what I am looking for. I have been trying all the lenses I can and have decided on the Sigma 30mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:42 pm 

I could use some help too because I am gonna see a concert in Nov. (for those who are curious it is Chiodos, The Devil Wears Prada, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, and some other.) so I could use some advice on what works best that doesn't cost like $4000.haha.

http://flickr.com/photos/nathan_ward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:31 pm 

Sounds like a toughy :( What you really need is a camera that will Auto Focus the 50mm 1.8 and have good low noice. ;) Hehehehehe.

How are you liking the 50mm f/1.8D TelexStar? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:36 am 

It seems very good actually. I need to spend some more time with it but for the money it's a fantastic lens.

The weirdest thing so far has been getting used to a *much* lighter and smaller lens on the front of the camera, compared to the 18-200mm VR. It takes some time adjusting because the balance that I've been used to has completely changed.

Here are some initial shots I've taken with it (none at f1.8 as yet though)...