Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SB-600
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:21 am 
So I was thinking of going ahead an buying this, the new body can wait because I realise that this is a very useful tool. The thing is I don't think it can work wirelessly on the D40, if not I still might buy it. I know it will be useful seeing as how I do a lot of macro photography and it would save me a lot of trouble from getting lamps and havig to hold them up and stuff them between pillows to stabilize them. So me questions are:

1.Will it work wirelessly with the D40?
2. Since Nikon is making new speedlights will the price drop soon?
3.If the are maing new ones is it worth waiting for?
4.What else other than a larger range for flash is it "really" good for?

-Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:37 pm 
1) The D40, AFAIK does not have a flash commander mode, so if by "wirelessly" you mean placing the flash detached from the camera shoe and firing it remotedly, then no, you cannot do that with de S600 nor with any other flash.

The only way to do that with the D40 is buying the S800 which has an embedded controler and thus you can fire the S600 remotedly. But that, of course, would mean having both the S800 and the S600.

2 and 3) I have no idea about Nikon's future plans regarding flashes, you can expect though that when new models get to the shelves, the older one's prices to drop until they're discontinued and/or stock lasts.

4) Well, one of the main reasons people upgrade from the built-in flashes is to gain the ability to do "rebound flash" for indoor shots, the difference is outstanding, no anoying shadows behind subjects and much more natural looking shots (You no longer have the impresion of the subjects being iluminated by a giant fluorescent light in front of them)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:57 am 
alright that is what I thought, and I will still probably buy because as soon as I buy that I can start saving for a new body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:16 am 
by the way, I think the SU-800 Commander can almost control as many speedlights as you wish

P.S. Do you mind if I call you Nate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:23 am 
No it's cool, I don't mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:21 am 
If I had $1 for everytime I read someone asking if it would work on there D40 lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:47 am 
I know I know.haha.well that will be over the sooner I get a new body.haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:37 pm 
Well since I sold some older games, I have a earned about another $100 so I think I am gonna go ahead and buy the SB-600, I still need like $80 but that isn't that hard to come by. So I will be getting the SB-600.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:15 pm 
That's what I'm aiming for next as well :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:48 pm 
yep, I can't wait to get it. I can't wait to get a new body but this will feed my apetite for camera parts for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:05 am 
So I will be getting it in a few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:20 pm 

Well, Nathan! Don't want to disturb your buying-spree.
BUT: Don't you think it's wise to keep your money to your chest for the biggest part - the new body?
You can go for whatever for heart likes after you've got a good deal on the body. Knowing what you have saved (or not) on that deal!?
As a wise man said: Important things first...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:07 pm 
I understand what you mean but I have thought this through for awhile, and originaly I was going to skip out on it but, I figured get it while I have the chance then I have just the basic things like a flash, extra lens, and some filters, then I will have a new body with all the stuff I need. Unless I hear that I can get a really nice deal in a store on a D200 I will wait. Thanks for you opinion though, but I am sure of what I want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:23 am 
well actually now it is a 50-50 chance I will get it now, because I might not get the money I need by this weekend.so I might have time to rethink.