Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:19 pm 
Is it best to fork out the extra £10 on an official Nikon EN-EL9 spare battery for £39.00 or is it ok to use a Hahnel HL-EL9 which is priced at £29.99. What do Nikon owners here use? Official Nikon spare batteries or 'clone' branded ones such as that offered by Hahnel?

All I know is that I should really aquire a spare battery particularly in light of soon I will have my hands on a VR Nikor lense. Apparently the VRII feature adds extra drain on the battery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:13 pm 

A secnd battery is never wrong. In my opinion, I'd go fo rthe Nikon bat. That gives you some peace of mind...
that is easily worth the extra 10 quid :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:56 pm 
I didn't get an official one. I wont be using it heaps and heaps. Just on the odd occasion when I'm away from power and need battery. Was only about $35NZD and the official Nikon was about $130NZD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:13 pm 
I guess this is kind of like bying third party lenses: They are fine, they are cheaper (or much cheaper) and in most cases they surely get the job done pretty well; but usually, they're also "just" second best in both build and optical quality when compared to their equivalent Nikkor counterparts.

The same applies to batteries, if you want "the real thing" you'll have to pay a little more, as Tombomba2 says, it will give you peace of mind and probably a bit better quality, if you're on a budget, then there must be surely pretty good third party batteries out there that will do the trick for less money.

Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:59 pm 
Just avoid pirate copies of official batteries. Someone on a certain other photography site posted pictures of a pirated battery and to all intents and purposes it looked like the real thing.