Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 pm 
With common rechargeable batteries, it's best to wait before they fully lose their charge before recharging. If not, an electrical effect known as "memory" will lower they capacity (how much charge they will accept next time) and expected life (how many recharging cycles they will last).

What I'd like to ask is if this is a problem with the battery provided with the D40, named EN-EL9.

That is to say, in order to keep my EN-EL9 battery at top performance and to make it last more years, should I avoid recharging it before it goes flat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:09 am 
From what I know, Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries do not suffer from any memory effect. This was a problem with older NiCd rechargeables.

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:52 am 
Site Admin

That's right - all batteries have a memory effect to some degree, but apparently Lithium Ion suffers the least in this regard, so you should be safe to recharge before fully discharging... the really bad ones were NiCads, and to a lesser extent NiMHs.

That said, I still prefer to completely discharge any battery before recharging, but that's just me!

Gordon