Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:17 pm 
I picked up my first Digital SLR a little over a month ago now as per the spec details in my signiture. So far so good. No regrets with my purchase and slowly but surely I'm getting sucked into this DSLR thing. Even my wife thinks it's not so bad. Already all of my wifes side of the family (it's huge) have nominated me as the family photographer. No pressure hey. :oops: :lol:

Anyway having played around a bit with the 18-55mm Nikkor kit lense I have come to realise that one obvious and significant limitation of it is it's lack of reach. Added to this is the fact that early next month I am going up to Donnington for the World Series by Renault which features a whole series of race classes including some demos by the Renault F1 team. The 18-55 kit lense just won't get me close enough to the cars on the track.

Hence my immediate task is to find myself a decent telephoto zoom lense to capture the on-track action. Also I am after a lense that will compliment the kit lense that I already own. I do not have a massive budget. I set myself a limit of £350 max. I have spent the last couple of weeks looking into this by reading the forums here and in a couple of magazines. I found a couple of the discussions on this forum very useful.

In the end I have decided to go with the Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED. Warehouse Express seem to be selling this for £330 so I might try and see if my local Jessops store will undercut this or at the least match it. I actually went into a camera store and the staff were kind enough to mount this telephoto zoom lense onto the body of a Nikon D40 which is what I own as I was concerned that perhaps it will be too big or top heavy for my small D40. After picking it up and holding it for about 5 minutes I decided that there was no problem with this and that the size of the lense wouldn't be an issue for me.

So guys, am I making the right decision going with this telephoto zoom as my second lense to compliment my 18-55mm one? Will this lense do the job for things like sport photography such as field hockey, football, along with car and bike autosport events? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:03 pm 
well I just picked up the 55-200mm VR and it is awesome although if you have the cash by all means get the 70-300mm VR.haha. But if you want a real good buy and will be using a tripod I would go for a Sigma 170-500mm($780 = like 579 EUR) but I don't think it will AF on the D40. But if I had he cash I would just pick up a new body, I can't wait to upgrade to the D200 or whatever the unannounced succesor is, that just me though. A couple months and I will have it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

As Nathan says, the 55-200mm VR is a good choice for taking over where your 18-55mm stops and also represents fantastic value. Make sure you're looking at the latest version with VR though.

We'll be doing a full review of it very soon, but in the meantime, you should check out forum member Darrin's review of it here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637

If you can afford it though, the 70-300mm VR is a tougher lens with a longer reach, and you're unlikely to miss the 55-70mm range. It is much bigger and heavier though, so it depends how much you want to carry and how much you want to spend. Again, look out for a full review of this lens in the future.

Ideally you should see if you can try out both the 70-300mm VR and the 55-200mm VR next to each other...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:43 pm 
If the size and weight don't bother you, go for the 70-300 VR!

This is not a fast lens though (in terms of max apertures), so it might not work that well for fast action shots in low light. However, a better (pro) lens will go way over your budget...

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:53 am 
Darrin wrote:
This is not a fast lens though (in terms of max apertures), so it might not work that well for fast action shots in low light.
Darrin

Should it be ok shooting fast action field hockey, football and motorsports in the daytime be it sunny or overcast? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:05 pm 
Konovalov wrote:
Should it be ok shooting fast action field hockey, football and motorsports in the daytime be it sunny or overcast? :?

It should be OK for that.

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:45 pm 

That'll be easy, as you can crank up your ISO to 800 with your D40!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:29 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:
That'll be easy, as you can crank up your ISO to 800 with your D40!

Excellent. Thanks guys. Just came back from the supermarket having purchased the September issue of Digital SLR User which is the first time that I have puchased this magazine. I made two handy discoveries in it.

Suprise number one was little did I know that the man himself, Gordon Laing who owns this great website is the Technical Editor of the magazine. He is even pictured at the bottom of the page along with the members of the Digital SLR User magazine team.

Number two was that within this issue of the magazine is a special article specifically on motorsports photography by Nick Webster a 12 year Pro concentrating mainly on action and automotive photography. Just started reading it and it is an excellent guide. I guess I will be out taking shots of the local traffic trying a few different techniques if this English summer actually eventuates. :roll:

Thanks again to all here for the advice. This really is a great website resource and an excellent forum thanks to those who participate on it. Big thumbs up from me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:51 pm 
Haha, I picked up the sam mag. and it is great I am on the forum now and have been for a few days and entered some og the contest is talks about in there. Great magazine.