Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:05 pm 
Next year i'm planning to buy a new Nikon, whats a fast Nikon high quality and that you would think thats good for aviation photography?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:33 pm 
Well, the Nikon D80 can shoot 3 frames per second, while the Nikon D200 can shoot 5 frames per second.

On the other hand, the speed of the auto-focus depends on the lens itself. The "AF-S" type of lens have a fast internal motor, which I would assume (although I'm not completely sure) auto-focuses faster than those for which the internal motor of the camera body is used.

To shoot fast moving subjects at long distances, such as planes, you will need a fast telephoto. Vibration reduction won't help, as it simply won't be enough time for VR to start making effect before your subject moves away (but high end telephotos will have VR, anyway). The downsides are high price and low availability. I guess you could do worst than the Nikkor AF-S VR Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED. If you're willing to spend well over USD 4500. :shock:

But then, you will want VR for other occasions. Also, a zoom is more flexible. A high quality zoom, that has VR, but is not particularly fast at the longer end is the Nikkor AF-S DX VR 18-200mm 3.5-5.6G IF-ED.


Last edited by luis on Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:41 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 7972
Location: Germany
The fast zoom with VR and excellent IQ is the VR 70-200mm/F2.8. It's so good in fact that you can easily use a tele-converter of up to 2x making it a VR 140-400mm/F5.6!
Only sad thing is: it costs a lot (1900EUR) :cry:

_________________
Thomas (beware: Nikon-fanboy and moderator!) My Lens Reviews, My Pictures, My Photography Blog
D800+assorted lenses


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:34 pm 
luis wrote:
Well, the Nikon D80 can shoot 3 frames per second, while the Nikon D200 can shoot 5 frames per second.

On the other hand, the speed of the auto-focus depends on the lens itself. The "AF-S" type of lens have a fast internal motor, which I would assume (although I'm not completely sure) auto-focuses faster than those for which the internal motor of the camera body is used.

To shoot fast moving subjects at long distances, such as planes, you will need a fast telephoto. Vibration reduction won't help, as it simply won't be enough time for VR to start making effect before your subject moves away (but high end telephotos will have VR, anyway). The downsides are high price and low availability. I guess you could do worst than the Nikkor AF-S VR Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED. If you're willing to spend well over USD 4500. :shock:

But then, you will want VR for other occasions. Also, a zoom is more flexible. A high quality zoom, that has VR, but is not particularly fast at the longer end is the Nikkor AF-S DX VR 18-200mm 3.5-5.6G IF-ED.
How much is the D200, and what is the bigest lens you know?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:50 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:32 pm
Posts: 9975
Location: Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi Kriss, here's some prices:

Nikon D200 body only prices

Bear in mind there may be some new Nikons announced later next week...

Gordon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:20 pm 
Nikon has a press conference next week. Could be used to launch the d200 sucessor which is likely. I suspect it will be a d200s or d200x. More likely D200s until the d300.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:22 am 
How about the Nikon D2xs, how fast and what mega pixel?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:19 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 7972
Location: Germany
Oh Kriss, forget about this monster:
It's 12.4Mpix for upwards 4000$. Not a very good MPix-per-$ rate :cry:

_________________
Thomas (beware: Nikon-fanboy and moderator!) My Lens Reviews, My Pictures, My Photography Blog
D800+assorted lenses


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:59 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:
Oh Kriss, forget about this monster:
It's 12.4Mpix for upwards 4000$. Not a very good MPix-per-$ rate :cry:
How many frames per second?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:40 am
Posts: 1330
Location: Scotland
Kriss22 wrote:
tombomba2 wrote:
Oh Kriss, forget about this monster:
It's 12.4Mpix for upwards 4000$. Not a very good MPix-per-$ rate :cry:
How many frames per second?


Google is your friend

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nikon+d2xs+fps&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Zorro 8)

_________________
http://zorrofox4.deviantart.com/

Image

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:54 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 7972
Location: Germany
Speed is 5 fps @ full resolution or 8 fps with reduced resolution (6.8MPix)

_________________
Thomas (beware: Nikon-fanboy and moderator!) My Lens Reviews, My Pictures, My Photography Blog
D800+assorted lenses


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:07 am 
tombomba2 wrote:
Speed is 5 fps @ full resolution or 8 fps with reduced resolution (6.8MPix)

Cool, i'll just go with the D200, and is this lens real and will it work for my D40 or my future D200?

http://cgi.ebay.com/650-2600mm-Tele-Len ... otohosting

same with these lenses.
http://cgi.ebay.com/500-1000mm-Lens-for ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/650-1300mm-Lens-for ... otohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/500-1000mm-Lens-for ... dZViewItem


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:35 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 7972
Location: Germany
All these lenses have manual focus, so this poses no prob with either the D200/80 or D40. BUT I know what it means to manually focus a 500mm/f8 lens: You will lose a lot of pics due to bad focus :cry:
Whether these lenses work correctly with automatic exposure on a Nikon, I cannot assess! So try at your own risk :?

_________________
Thomas (beware: Nikon-fanboy and moderator!) My Lens Reviews, My Pictures, My Photography Blog
D800+assorted lenses


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:59 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:
All these lenses have manual focus, so this poses no prob with either the D200/80 or D40. BUT I know what it means to manually focus a 500mm/f8 lens: You will lose a lot of pics due to bad focus :cry:
Whether these lenses work correctly with automatic exposure on a Nikon, I cannot assess! So try at your own risk :?

I have a manual focus 70-300mm and i managed to focus.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:48 am 
For the 500-1000, will it be able to take nice shots from a far distance?
BTW will http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-650-1300m ... 71&sr=8-17 that lens work for the D40?


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group