Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:13 am 
has any one seen any leaked photos or anything regarding what is supposed to be the successor to the D200? I just saw some pictures of the Canon 40D not sure if it is real but they are certainly convincing and it looks very cool. I also have seen pictures of the 2 new Sony Alpha's, but nothing on the new Nikon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:45 am 
Well there was a thread on dpreview of the d200 being discontinued but it's not likely yet. There was a picture of a d200 with japanese text rumoring a successor. I hear it will be called the d200s. D80 can wait a while since it was introduced last year. Some say the d200s will be a 12mp version of the d200. Could just be an enhanced 10 mp d200. That means they could just make a new firmware for the d200. Nikon and Canon are very secretive on new products so info like this is just speculation. The 40D looks like an enhanced 30D with dust filter, 10 mp sensor, 5 fps or 6.5 fps continous, Digic 3, and some other enhancements. The 40d this fall poster is fake. Some of the 40d pics could be real or a very good photoshop. We'll see when they have their press conferences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:43 am 
Nathan,

August 23rd is going to be the Nikon press conference in London. I bet there will be an announcement. Maybe there won't be announcement. I bet there will be one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:17 pm 
If there is an announcement, what will that mean as far as when that "newly announced camera" would be available? Would it be very soon, by the end of the year or further into next year? Just wondering if I should scratch my itch for a D200 or put some ointment on it for a few weeks and be happier for the wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:39 pm 
It might just be a D200s that is just an enhanced d200. I bet if they did a d200s they will make a firmware update for all those d200 owners. Just like the d70s. The press conference could very well be used to launch a new camera. The D200 is the oldest SLR in Nikons lineup and I think nikon wants to do a refresh to it. The D200s could be 12 megapixel but 10 is just fine for most people. Unless you need really large prints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:57 pm 
yeah i know what you mean, since I am saving up for either a D200 or D80 I might not even go for the D200s because I never really do prints and when I do they are not all that big so I am fine with 10MP. I want to have something new ASAP because the D40 is not advanced enough, it is for begginers, which I was when I got it, but now I am ready for like a D200 or with the same price as the body I could get the D80 with MB-D80 and probably have almost enough for the Sigma 10-20mm so I just might take that route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:15 pm 

12MPix would do nothing to IQ, believe me. That is an increase in (linear) resolution of just 10%. You'll never see it :!: :shock: :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:53 pm 
Nathan wrote:
yeah i know what you mean, since I am saving up for either a D200 or D80 I might not even go for the D200s because I never really do prints and when I do they are not all that big so I am fine with 10MP. I want to have something new ASAP because the D40 is not advanced enough, it is for begginers, which I was when I got it, but now I am ready for like a D200 or with the same price as the body I could get the D80 with MB-D80 and probably have almost enough for the Sigma 10-20mm so I just might take that route.

Nikon will have a press conference in London sometime next week. There probably will be an embargo for a short time but someone could easily leak the specs of the d200 replacement/sucessor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:22 am 
I just visited CALUMET, my local Camera Shop here in LA, and there sense of things with the D200 is that Nikon will announce a full color sensor. Then again, all rumor at this point. Interestingly enough... they are currently out of stock on the D200, and NONE of their stores carry them right now. My salesman was kind enough to show me that on their store computer none of their stores have them in stock and they currently have over 300 on back order to other customers. He said that when this has happened with other cameras it has meant they were being discontinued. None of the salesmen there had heard of a company about to make an "improvement" annoucement and no longer supplying any of their dealers with models. He also mentioned that Nikon, of all the companies they deal with, are the worst with getting them new equipment.

Not really any exciting information... but it certainly raised my eyebrow.

Until next week then!