Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon 18-200 VR Review
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:06 pm 

Thanks for your excellent review of the 18-200 VR. This lens is the reason I switched to Nikon and bought a D50. I wanted a camera and lens combination that would be of modest weight and allow me to cover a focal range from wide angle to telephoto and which had stabilization. The 18-200 VR has more than meant my expectations. I also bought the Canon 500D 72 mm close-up lens that screws on like a filter and this works very well with the 18-200 VR. I have a user review which includes pictures taken with the Canon 500D at:

http://www.digitaldingus.com/forums/vie ... php?t=3033

Last edited by fgbrault on Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Frank, thanks for your message and I'm glad you liked the review. That's also a great tip about the close-up accessory...

Look out for more lens reviews coming soon,

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:02 pm 

Yeah, all you reviewers out there forced me to invest my hard earned cash with this lens - but I don't regret it.
The tip with the canon (shudder!) close-up lens is nice! I asume it has a focal length of 500mm. And Franks point with the 18-200mm having its full 200 only if it's focussed near infinity gives this lens+close up combination some near-magical properties: giving a magnification of +50% even when staying at 50cm distance from the object of desire...

But all in all I assume the close-up lens does not give much more than an additional 1,5x magnification. Am I right, Frank?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:31 am 

Thomas wrote:
Yeah, all you reviewers out there forced me to invest my hard earned cash with this lens - but I don't regret it.
The tip with the canon (shudder!) close-up lens is nice! I asume it has a focal length of 500mm. And Franks point with the 18-200mm having its full 200 only if it's focussed near infinity gives this lens+close up combination some near-magical properties: giving a magnification of +50% even when staying at 50cm distance from the object of desire...

But all in all I assume the close-up lens does not give much more than an additional 1,5x magnification. Am I right, Frank?

Thanks for looking at my review of the 18-200 mm. I'm not sure what the magnification is with the Canon Close Up lens.. You gave me an idea though. Tomorrow I will modify my review to include comparison pictures take with the 18-200 mm with and with out the Canon Close-Up lens. Also, I will post comparison pictures taken with the 18-200 and Canon at different focus distances. I will post the link here again when I am done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:13 am 

Good idea, Frank.
After checking for myself I'm a bit confused: In Gordon's macro test of the "naked" 18-200 he showed a max area of 52x35mm at 25cm.
I tried and tried and tried, but did not get better than 90x60mm from a distance of about 40 cm (from focal plane or 20cm from the front lens at 200mm).
Gordons value would lead to a 1:2.2 scale and that would even be better than the 1:2.5 that you measured with the close-up lens!!!
With my values the max scale of the naked lens would only be 1:3.8 and the 1:2.5 through the close-up lens would be an improvement of 50%.

So we need a little help here: either Gordon's lens has different properties (i.e. focussing closer), or Frank didn't find the "sweet spot" with the close-up lens, or my mathematics is a little rusty...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:42 pm 

Thomas, how did you calculate the value for Gordon's test? I can't find anywhere where he indicates the size of his target custom chart.

Thomas wrote:
Good idea, Frank.
After checking for myself I'm a bit confused: In Gordon's macro test of the "naked" 18-200 he showed a max area of 52x35mm at 25cm.
I tried and tried and tried, but did not get better than 90x60mm from a distance of about 40 cm (from focal plane or 20cm from the front lens at 200mm).
Gordons value would lead to a 1:2.2 scale and that would even be better than the 1:2.5 that you measured with the close-up lens!!!
With my values the max scale of the naked lens would only be 1:3.8 and the 1:2.5 through the close-up lens would be an improvement of 50%.

So we need a little help here: either Gordon's lens has different properties (i.e. focussing closer), or Frank didn't find the "sweet spot" with the close-up lens, or my mathematics is a little rusty...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:03 pm 

Frank, look at
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... ge4d.shtml
Dividing his 52mm by 23,6mm (=sensor width) you get the 1:2.2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:33 pm 

I am puzzled too. Popular Photography in their test of the Nikon 18-200 VR got a maximum magnification of 1:3.9 at 200mm.

Thomas wrote:
Frank, look at
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... ge4d.shtml
Dividing his 52mm by 23,6mm (=sensor width) you get the 1:2.2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:28 pm 

The 1:3.9 is (almost) exactly what I measured. So now it's Gordons turn to shed a little light on this mystery...

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:46 pm 

I am going to wait for some better light before adding the 'macros' to my review. However, my measurements are very close to yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:34 pm 

But Frank,
just point your 18-200 + close-up lens at a ruler, to see, how many millimeters fit across the width of your pic, divide by 23,6 and your done.
This should work even at home - no nice pics required...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Frank, Hi Tombomba, my macro result with the Nikkor 18-200mm was taken at a focal length of 170mm from a distance of 25cm between the front of the lens and the target. Under these conditions, it delivered the result you see in the review, measuring 52x35mm.

This is the only Nikkor 18-200mm I've tested, so can't say whether it was a particular variation on this model or not.

Tombomba, could you try setting yours to 170mm and approaching a ruler until you literally cannot focus any closer. I hope you can achieve a similar area to my result.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:31 pm 

Now it's getting interesting! My lens can definitely not get any closer, even at 170mm, neither automatically nor manually. So we are talking manufacturing differences or what (my lens was made in Thailand, serial no. 2578463). Unfortunately Nikon is not giving any figures with respect to the macro abilities of their standard lenses.

To be precise: the distance from the front lens is 22cm. Go any closer and the lens will not focus. What's interesting is that you get a smaller fov from 25cm than I get from even closer up. Sounds like your camera had a smaller sensor at the time of testing (just kidding!).

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tombomba, it certainly does sound odd!

I did test mine with a D2X, but it has the same size 'DX' sensor as the other Nikon DSLRs so shouldn't make any difference. Perhaps other people who own 18-200s can try this out?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:34 pm 

at http://nikonimaging.com/global/products ... /index.htm you can find the data from the horses mouth:
- Maximum reproduction ratio: 1/4.5
- Closest focusing distance: 0.5m (through the entire focal range)
So Frank B and I are lucky getting even closer (42cm) to the subject and getting a ratio of 1/3.9. And Gordon's lens could have been a preproduction sample or something "unlocked" to reach a better ratio.
Or Nikon found out later, that the picture quality at 1/2.2 does not fit their standards.
Or: Nikon just wants to sell more Nikkor micro 105/2,8 VR lenses.
Any more ideas on conspiration theory?

Me personally would have been happy compromising picture quality at better reproduction ratios, 'caus loosing a factor of 2 in close-up is equivalent of shooting with a 2.5 megapixel sensor!
So, Gordon, I'd love to swap my lens for yours...
And: let's collect some information about close-up lenses, extenders, and the famous 105/2,8 Nikkor micro...