Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:16 pm 
Hi,

In the near future, I'm going to buy my first digicam, the Nikon D80.

Should I go with the Nikon SB-600 or the SB-800?

Need your advice.

Thanks in advance.

John_0812 :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:07 pm 
I'm not an expert, I'm thinking of buying either the small SB-400 or the SB-600 myself, for what I've read, this is what I think:

The SB-800 has a bit of extra power (higher guide number) and, above all, the "Commander Mode": The SB-800 serves as kind of a command center for several flashes for studio work (while in commander mode it can trigger wirelessly other SB-800s in "slave mode" or SB-600s), some people around here can surely explain this better than I. Anyway, I think the built-in flash of the D80 has a commanding mode itself though I'm not sure, I do know the D40 I own doesn't have this feature.

My opinion is that, unless you are in dire need of those extra features of the SB-800 or money is not an issue, you'd be happier with the SB-600, it's cheaper, lighter, smaller, and delivers just about the same performance as a stand-alone flash as the SB-800.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:46 pm 
Hi, beren23!

Thanks for your reply.

I also believe that the SB-600 would be best for me. I just want to hear
different opinions.

Greetings to Spain!!

John_0812

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:04 pm 

Hi John, you know what I'll say, don't you? 8)
I'll recommend the SB-800, because:
- you'll need every power if you do indirect/bounce flash
- it zooms to 105mm not just 85mm giving additional reach when shooting with tele-lenses
- you'll get a gel-filter to adapt your flash-color to incandescent light. Otherwise you'll end up having different light-temperatures when shooting indoors.
- you'll get the "Bounce Adapter SW-10H", very helpfull when bouncing
- you'll get the "Quick Recycling Battery Pack SD-800" that let's you shoot below three seconds at full power.
- The SB-800 serves as master/commander with other remote SB-600/800

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:28 am 
tombomba2 wrote:
Hi John, you know what I'll say, don't you? 8)
I'll recommend the SB-800, because:
- you'll need every power if you do indirect/bounce flash
- it zooms to 105mm not just 85mm giving additional reach when shooting with tele-lenses
- you'll get a gel-filter to adapt your flash-color to incandescent light. Otherwise you'll end up having different light-temperatures when shooting indoors.
- you'll get the "Bounce Adapter SW-10H", very helpfull when bouncing
- you'll get the "Quick Recycling Battery Pack SD-800" that let's you shoot below three seconds at full power.
- The SB-800 serves as master/commander with other remote SB-600/800

Okaaay John-0812, see what I meant when I said I was not an expert? :mrgreen:

Now I see the price difference more justified than before...

Thanks for the info Tombomba2, if there's a thing a love about this forum is how informative it is. I want the flash primarily for indoor shots (bounce light) and your comments about the need of all the power available have made me discard the SB-400 and now I'm doubting also between the SB-600 and the SB-800 (more money... :(). :roll:

Cheers

Last edited by beren23 on Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:46 am 
Hi, beren23!

Thanks for your interesting remarks.

In all likelihood, I'm going to buy the SB-600 anyway because that flash would fit my personal needs perfectly.

Good luck to you.

By the way, I like the citation of my countryman Albert Einstein at the end of your reply.

John_0812 :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:39 pm 

Hello, beren23! Sorry to make your wallet hurt.
But really, the SB-400 is no real step-up from the built in flash. It certainly lacks the power and versatility of the 600/800.
So at least go for the SB-600.
It's all about the "power" of light. And if you don't have enough you'll be directing it straight to your target and I've never seen a good photo with a pure frontal flash :x
So what you need is the "power" to bounce around...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:00 am 
I have just decided on the SB800 on the fact that it is better to have more and not use so often, than to have less and need it once or twice and you don't have it.

Like cutting a piece of wood to short, you can't simply glue a piece back on. Better to leave it a little bit on the long side because you can always take more off.

I'm going on a snow trip for 4 days this week, so when I get back I will assess how much cash I have then make a decision when to buy. (look out for some photos of my snow trip when I get back).

Jay...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:55 am 

Wise decision, Jay. Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:40 pm 
Jay,

I've just got the SB800 and have been playing around with it for a day..its great bar the cost..

wise rationale, if u dont need the full func of the SB800 then by all means go the SB600..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:34 pm 
Where did you buy your SB800 from? get it for a reasonable price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:50 am 
dos this sb-600 come with a white plastic cover so the flush is not so direct? i dont like the idea of bouncing light around

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:35 am 

Flux, the "Bounce Adapter SW-10H" is included with the SB_800 but an extra with the SB-600.