Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Focusing screen on D40
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:39 pm 

Is this a viable option when using the D40 in manual focus mode to aid in focusing? I have seen several on the market ranging from$50.00 to $250.00 that claim to not have any negative effects on auto focus using AF-S lenses. Just curious really.

P.S. shoulda bought a D80 or 400d =/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:37 am 
Site Admin

Are you talking about swapping the actual optical focusing screen? If so, I don't believe you can do this on the D40 - it's a capability you generally don't get until you're talking about much higher-end cameras...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:50 am 

Gordon,

Thanks for the feed back, could I get your thoughts on this http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Katz ... d_D40.html

PS I tried focusing with my left eye and I kinda like it.. I think I am going to convert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:03 am 
Site Admin

I stand corrected!

I didn't know you could switch the focusing screen on the D40(x).

This kind of focusing screen does make manual focusing easier, but as I recall from my film days, it'll also darken that portion of the viewfinder. It may be worth having a peek through an older manual 35mm SLR to see how it'll work out...

Do you plan on doing much manual focusing? And do you find the standard screen doesn't allow you to manually focus accurately? If yes to both, then it could be worth having...

Gordon

PS - glad we've converted you into a leftie! I was beginning to think I was one of the few who didn't use their right eye!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:31 pm 

Until AF-S lenses of more affordable prices become abundant or until I upgrade my camera I may use non AF-S lenses more often. Its not a big deal to me to manual focus but sometimes I cant trust my own eyes (then again I could be mistaking camera shake for out of focus). As I continue to practice with the current manual focus lens I have I will decide, that is the reason i got a "bargain lens" so that I could practice manual focus.