Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: lens doubt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:33 am 

haiii
first of all thanks for all the people behind this site
this site is great help for beginners like me :)

i just brought my first DSLR-Nikon d5100
its a nice camera

i have a doubt
i found that there is no Built-in focus motor in this camera

so plz tell me which lenses (other than kit lens) i can use with this camera ?
plz help

Post subject: Re: lens doubt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:08 am 

Welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Any Nikon lens with the designation AF or AF-S has a built in Auto-Focus motor.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: one more thing. Make sure the lens also has a DX designation, not FX. FX won't work on your camera. Hint; all these designations will appear on the lens barrel itself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:52 pm 

You can use FX lenses on a DX body without problems. I use a 70-300 FX lens on my D60 which is a DX body.

I thought it was only AF-S lenses that had the motor built in them. All other lenses would be manual focus only on a D5100.

Tripod: Joby Gorillapod Focus with Ball Head X, Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 with Manfrotto MH054M0-Q5 ballhead

Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:07 pm 

thomasrichards wrote:

EDIT: one more thing. Make sure the lens also has a DX designation, not FX. FX won't work on your camera. Hint; all these designations will appear on the lens barrel itself.

AF and AF-D lenses do not have bullt-in focus motors!

Moreover, FX lenses will work fine on DX cameras, though, of course, one must pay attention to the focus motor compatibility if auto-focus ability is desired.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:29 pm 

RexGig wrote:
thomasrichards wrote:

AF and AF-D lenses do not have bullt-in focus motors!

Moreover, FX lenses will work fine on DX cameras, though, of course, one must pay attention to the focus motor compatibility if auto-focus ability is desired.

Thanks for clearing it up. Shows how little I know :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:53 pm 

Hello AmNikonboy, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
Regarding your question, looky http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20094

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:35 am 

Hi and welcome to the forum. When I got my first DSLR I down loaded this from Nikon. Looks like you need an AF-S only on the D5100 if you want autofocus. I was in the same boat with the D40x when I bought a 70-300mm AF lens, no lens motor no autofocus. :(

Cheers

Nikon has a long history of making excellent lenses and we have many different technologies used in our lenses. Here is a brief glossary of our lens terminology:

ED - The lens uses Extra-low Dispersion glass for superior image quality, especially at wide apertures.
IF - Internal Focus, focus is accomplished without the lens barrel rotating or changing length, an advantage when using a position-sensitive filter such as a polarizer.
AF-S - Focusing is driven by a "Silent Wave" motor in the lens instead of the focus drive motor in the camera. AF-S lenses focus faster than standard AF-Nikkors and are almost completely silent. AF-S lenses with a "II" designation weigh less and are generally smaller than their equivalent predecessors.
D - The lens provides Distance information to the camera electronically for more accurate light metering.
G - The lens has no aperture control ring and is designed to be used with cameras that allow setting the aperture from the camera body. G lenses also provide Distance information to the camera.
DC - Defocus Control, the optical characteristics of the lens can be altered to change the appearance of the out-of-focus elements in the background or foreground.
VR - Vibration Reduction, lenses with this feature can be hand-held at lower shutter speeds than non-VR lenses because they have a system that detects and counteracts vibration associated with hand-holding a camera and lens. (VR operation is available only with specific Nikon cameras.)
DX - The lens is specifically designed for use on Nikon digital SLR cameras. It produces a smaller image circle for more efficient coverage of the imaging sensor in these cameras, which is smaller than the 35mm film frame.

What is "ED" glass?

Answer

ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass is a Nikon innovation designed to overcome the problems of other types of high performance glass like calcium fluorite-based glass, which is very fragile and easily scratched. ED glass reduces chromatic aberration and keeps light of various wavelengths focused at virtually the same point. This results in a more contrasty image with less color distortion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:21 am 

thanks a lot all friends

so friends i think i can use AF lens with my NIKON D5100 and focus it manually

am i correct?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:45 am 

Yes, you can manually focus any lens on a D5x00.
But don't expect it to be easy to get the focus spot-on, esp. when you're using a large aperture lens at larger apertures like a Nikon AF 50/1.8D.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:03 pm 

thanks all :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:44 pm 

hai friends one more doubt

now i want to buy a 50mm lens

i wish to buy this lens - Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Lens(Standard Lens)

is it suitable to my camera?
is there any problem will arise when i shoot with that lens in my d5100?

plz give ur views and opinions

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:54 pm 

The Nikon AF 50/1.8D does not auto-focus on a D5x00!
Get the Nikon AF-S 50/1.8G instead. Lovely lens, great performance, does AF on any current Nikon body! See my review of that lens here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:57 am 

thanks

but is it possible to focus that lens manually in my nikon d5100?

is there any problem in doing so?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:47 pm 

Yes, manually focusing is always possible. The problem in my eye is hitting focus on the nail!
In former times fim-SLRs had split-prism and micro-prism help in their viewfinder that made it easy to accurately focus. For me today's vf-screens are much to translucent for precise focus.
But your mileage may vary...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:02 am 
Short answer: Any Nikon lens with AF-S have built in motors and will autofocus on your 5100.