Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:43 pm 

We have horses and need to upgrade our aging sony handycam (non HD). Also want to upgrade our 8mpix point & shoot so my wife can take better pictures of the horses. Since the point&shoot's aren't very good for shooting moving subjects (e.g. horses), it might be a good idea to shoot video in HD and grab stills from it, thereby capturing great movement shots. Good audio options are a plus but generally not needed. Maybe we can accomplish both with a single camera

Questions:
1. can you expect to grab pretty good (equivalent to say 12-16mpix) action shot still images from HD 720p video ? is HD 1080p a must have?
2. would iMovie be OK for grabbing stills ?
2. what might be some good cameras for this? Sony RX10 , Lumix GH3, other? should we use a camcorder instead?

thanks!
-Qua

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:06 am 

1) Still shots from a 1080 video camera is 2 mpix. Yes, video resolution is that much smaller than a camera's resolution, so unfortunately it does not seem as if you can do both simultaneously.

2) Yes, iMove can export frames as high as the resolution of the video. But VLC can also do this without the need to import

3) I used to be a video guy, but that was 10 years ago, sorry. I'll pass this one on to the experts...

Good luck, and happy shooting!

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:50 am 

Keep in mind that, in addition to being much lower resolution -- even the GH4's Cinema 4K is only 8.8 megapixels -- video frame grabs also tend to have a lot of motion blur. So you will most likely get better results shooting video and photos separately.

Sorry - Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:16 pm 

If you really wants a superior image quality one can use canon G15.