Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:59 am 

I’m about to buy a Panasonic FZ150. The movie mode is set by country and I expect for Australia it will be 25fps because we have Pal TV

Most of my movies go to youtube (30fps) but they also get put onto dvd’s for Pal TV (25fps)

Would it be best to get 30fps ? I'm thinking that more frames equals better quality, or at least it is better to reduce from 30 to 25 rather than increase from 25 to 30?

I render with sony vegas, in case that helps the decision

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:17 am 
Site Admin

It's a toughie. I'd go for the frame rate which matches your most important projects, and if they're PAL DVDs, then stick with a 25 /50 PAL model. I believe YT can present content at 24, 25 or 30fps and doesn't convert.

A different thing to consider though is slow motion from progressive modes. The FZ150 has progressive HD options at 50 or 60p depending on region, and the latter will let you reduce by 2.5 times for a 24fps project, whereas the former can 'only' go down by 2 times for a 25fps project. Not massively important, but worth thinking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:14 am 

Thanks Gordon, so converting 30fps to Pal will reduce the quality? while getting the 25fps version will not?

My camera shop had no idea yesterday when they will be getting the FZ150 - have you got any recommended dealers?

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:48 am 
I agree with Gordon here. I am not sure how visible the conversion will be, but certainly the rendering time will be slightly increased if you change the frame-rate from your time-line to the end product.

I would probably go with the 30fps version myself, as I will happily take every increase in the recording frame-rate I can get! :)

In my GoPro cameras, I have the option to switch between 25 and 30 fps (or 50/60 in one of the modes) and I never choose the lower one, unless playing back directly from the camera to a TV that will only take native UK refresh rate.

all the best,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:58 pm 

Thanks BB, good to hear that you always use 30fps yet you are in UK which is PAL.

Is there another 'expert' on this forum that I could PM this question to? I'd really like to get a few replies and then make my decision- and I'm urgently waiting for the camera to become available, at a reasonable price- I have seen over aus$800 from one Aus website.