Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Frames per second
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:19 pm 
Hey cameralabs i need to know one thing before i make my next camera purchase.The Canon 60D has 30fps at 1080p, but the Nikon D7000 only has 24fps at 1080p, is it really worth getting the canon just because of the fps of the video? does it matter that much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:05 am 
The fps doesnt matter much at all, 24fps gives more of a "film" type look when recording but that can be achieved in post anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:39 am 
my videographer dad says otherwise, but i say hes wrong, thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:52 am 

well 24 fps is a minimum speed that human eye can recognize as motion picture, while 30 fps is an improvement on that, other than that if you want to process your film on a frame basis, or apply some heavy effects you might need 30 fps that allow room for deleting some frames and giving better options in syncing 2 scenes..

so if you want to do videos for family and just private casual stuff you would be better of with 24 fps since it needs less space and is good for watching, while if you are into some film making (youtube stuff, web advertising, ... ) you might find a use for 30 fps..

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:18 am 

Have a read of this Wiki on film frame rates http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

Just one comparison you can do is to look at the length of a film on DVD in NTSC compared to PAL formats they will having different running times. I know lots of questions were asked on DVD forums about this when DVD first started to replace VHS.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

The choice of frame rates boils down to where you intend to watch or use the video. The problems occur when you have to convert frame rates, which is whcy it's best to choose the right frame rate before you start your project.

The basic guide is as follows:

If you're shooting for a North American / Japanese / 'NTSC' region, then use 30fps or 60i.

If you're shooting for a UK, European, Australia, NZ / 'PAL' region, then use 25fps or 50i.

If you're shooting for the cinema, historically you'd go for 24fps.

Where it's really important is in professional environments. If you're shooting for, say, UK broadcast, then you'll avoid many headaches by doing it at 25fps or 50i. Conversely for US broadcast, choose 30fps or 60i. And if you're a film-maker, hoping for a theatrical / cinema release, go for 24fps.

To put it in perspective though, most modern TVs will lock onto different frame rates, so a modern UK TV should happily also handle 30fps or 60i, and also 24fps material. Computers can also display different frame rates without too many issues. So if you're only using the content at home or on your computer, then the choice of frame rate isn't critical.

But if possible, stick to the guidelines above.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:19 pm 

i think 60d is is better because of higher frame rates. But then again, its just my opinion, frame rate in end does not make a good movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iookfo1xyhQ

there, i have one shot slowed down from 60 to 24fps ( which i think cant be seen because youtube makes it into 30 anyways...)

Canon AT-1, 50mm FD F1.8
Canon A430,