Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: compression & quality
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:44 pm 
Hello! I have a 550D. As you know the size of the files is quite big. What do you use to compress them and still keep a decent quality on the long run? I don't think every 10 minutes of film deserve a DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm 
your questions get a in depth answer in my blog
http://viconco.blogspot.com/
see:
Shrink your video files

"Why would you want to re-compress you video files?
Well, I donĀ“t know about you, but with the quality the Sony HX5 gives me in videos, I find myself using the video function more and more. And that shows on my disk. Where before a DVD was enough to archive several years of picture memories including some clips, now a DVD would be filled in a matter of weeks.
So I need a way of keeping the videos I want but if I could get them smaller without loss of visible quality that would be perfect.
After spending several days work to try all kinds of programs and fiddle with the settings to get exactly the results the way I wanted it it is time to share that information with you. In one sentence: You can save 50 to 75% of space and keep a good quality."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:11 am 
Hi,

Your files coming out of the camera are already compressed! (Image if they were taken in RAW....)

What I do, for example, when I produce a video for publishing in YT or Vimeo, I encode it with a datarate of 5000 kbs/sec. My last video (24min) is 1Gb in size. I use H.264. Without limiting the datarate, this vide is 10Gb big, so there's quite a difference there.