Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:41 am 
Hi,

Ive been working with the canon T2i for sometime and have some problems with the output. Firstly, the 1080p files coming out of the camera are 1088p WTH. Secondly, contrary to what some people face, i can play these files back in Windows Media Player and they play super smooth with absolutely no judder. They play so smooth its like playing small 320 size videos. The response is that fast. So my system is beefy enough to handle the files i guess. (Its a dedicated video edit system with 4 drives, 4 gb ram etc). So far so good.

Now when i add these files into the Vegas NLE timeline. Things get bad. The video doesnt play smooth. Even in draft preview mode. So to get realtime playback, i transcoded all the .MOV files into smaller res size Mpeg4 .MOV files to create proxies. Then i started working with the proxies on the timeline and they ran perfectly etc. Now ive completed my entire project which uses about 20 of these clips and some minimal color correction etc. 3 tracks on the NLE, thats all. When i switch the proxy files with the full .MOV camera files to do my render. All hell breaks loose. Vegas hangs. Closes itself and disappears from the desktop. Renders hang at different locations. Different segments. So theres no particular spot where it hangs etc. I tried rendering selective regions/segments of the project. Same problem.

Can someone help me with how youve worked with these files ? Is it the 1088 odd res creating this problem. If so how do i overcome this.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:16 am 
Site Admin

I think the potentially random scrubbing process of a non-linear editor is more intensive than just playing back files, so that could explain the slower performance when editing. It's certainly the case for me when I'm using Premiere Pro CS4. But the output from PPro is great - it's what I use for my video demos which often incorporate video files from these cameras.

Not sure why your files are coming up as 1088 though - what's reporting them as that? If it's your editor, then I suspect it's not 100% compatible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:50 am 
Hi,

I don't know what the workflow with Vegas is, but I use fcp and one of the things people normally do is to convert the movie files from the camera to apple pro res 422. This is because the h.264 files out of the camera are compressed and so playback and editing are tremendously slow on fcp. When converted to prores, everything just flows much better and faster on fcp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:02 pm 
Hi Gordon,

The files show up as 1088p in the transcoder. Then when i right click and see media properties. Then MEDIA INFO which is a part of the klite codec package and is very accurate in reporting bitrates and compression used etc also reports the files from the T2i as 1088p.

Vegas reports the files as 1080p. But then they stutter when played back from the timeline. And they dont render well, forget scrubbing the playhead and coloring the clips. I thought working with proxies will eliminate this problem. But it seems that our canon T2i files wont even work well for just the rendering part.

I read a little on the net and found some people suggesting transcoding to different type of quicktime. The output .MOV is 3 times bigger than the original. Bitrate is reported as 175mbps. But it runs smooth on the vegas timeline. Even in the 'Best' preview mode. Renders seem slow, with a few filters layed on, but they work at least. Should i go ahead and work this way or mathematically am i losing visual quality by transcoding and using the transcoded result as my main files to edit and render out of.

Do you work with purely transoded files or do even you swap the files back for the cam originals during final render ?

Thanks

Murdock > you convert to Apple Pro Res and then use that on the timeline and render out your final right out of the pro res files or do you swap them at final render for the cam based orginal clips ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:29 pm 
I use the prores files from beginning to end. Once I convert the original files to prores, I might as well delete the files that came from the camera.

The prores files are indeed way bigger than the original files, but working with them is much easier, rendering is faster (if needed at all), applying filters is faster, it is really much better.