Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Upgrading Camcorder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:32 pm 

I currently have one of the Sony standard definition camcorders with a hard disk drive. I have been considering upgrading to a high definition camcorder, but was wondering whether it is worth it or not.

I do not have a HD Television or screen at the moment, and have some basic experience with high definition, as the Canon EOS 500D will film HD Video.

I have seen the typical £100 ($75) mini type camcorders, but I think that I would get one of the full size Sony HD ones recording onto a HDD.

What are your views on this?

Have any of you upgraded yourselves from SD to HD (Camcorders)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

I did for my video reviews, going from an SD Sony to an HD Canon, both tape based.

Whether you upgrade depends on what you want to use it for, and of course whether the video mode in your DSLR is insufficient or incapable of the results you want.

If you like zooming while filming, then a camcorder is still the only way to go, but if you're happy not adjusting the zoom once you start filming, you could always go for a stills camera with a really good HD video mode.

Some superzoom cameras also do a good job, like the Canon SX20 IS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:35 pm 

Hi Gordon,
I believe that a Camcorder will always offer a better job. The audio is better quality, zooming is easier like you say, I have a 40x zoom on my SD Sony, and I think that I prefer a seperate camcorder.

My views may change though.

I currently have the 500D and have tested out the HD mode, I dont currently have a HD screen though, the frame rates are slow also.