Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Video mode
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:29 pm 

Hi guys it is me from tiny Malta .
What is the meaning of movie mode when you can buy an HD Camcorder.
I mean that is it really an advantage of having it into a DSLR ?
I prefer an HDMI a Live View but not a movie mode . It is also expensive as I prefer Nikon D90, D5000 or Canon D450 or D500 ?
What do you think ?

By the way did I say that you are the best ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:49 pm 

The Canon 450D doesnt have video.
Well, video on dSLRs dont have continuous AF when filming, but do have a big sensor for low light and small DOF videos.
They also have typical artifacts.
A DSLR isnt made for video, if youll be using it, a camcorder will be the best.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:14 am 

Besides the above commercial, what ruben states is hardly true, many professional instructors and series are moving onto DSLRs, the final episode in Scrubs I believe was made with the Canon 5D MII, also many movies are being made with the same camera. However only the 550D comes close to having the same opportunities of the entry-level cameras.

[MOD: spam post above has been removed. Bjorn]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:29 am 

What exactly do you mean only the 550d comes close to having the same opportunities as entry level cameras ? Its a tricky sounding statement ? Can you just explain what you meant as im keen on knowing about the 550d.

Im guessing you meant, only the 550d (among the entry level cameras) offers professional quality video similar to the pro level cameras ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:58 am 

I guess he means it has the same image/video quality, but it obviously isnt as good at handling, changing settings, autofocus etc ie general ergonomics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:05 pm 

Hi Jeremy, No i think he meant something else. And im just keen on knowing. Owing to the fact that ill soon be going to a 550d myself. His statement either meant the 550d is a great camera among the entry level but can give video qaulity comparable to some of the of the pro cameras. Or he meant the 550d is more towards the amateur end in video quality. Not debating anything. Just want to know what he meant.

Post subject: doing video with 550D
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:46 pm 

I was told you can't do video with autofocus with this camera. Is it difficult to do manual when you do video? Do you have to set all kind of settings so just turn the lens to adjust for zoom and film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:12 am 

Hi,

You can do outofocus and zooming while in video mode. But the autofocus isnt too accurate. It would hunt in and out a few times before it locks on. So your better off doing it by hand. Also the noise the autofocus motor maks is clearly recorded in your cameras mic also while your recording. So the video will have the focus noise.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:55 pm 

Thanks Plainman007

I am new to this. Is learning manual difficult as I am contemplating my first DSLR and have only done auto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:26 pm 

Hi,

Manual focus is not that big a deal. But in video yes. Its very tough to manually focus in one smooth movement. Because the very nature of the focus ringand the fingers moving on them. The focus will move jerkily. There are ways to get around this by buying some additional gear for it like a follow focus. But the cheapest ones cost an arm and a leg :). But its not impossible to do. + you have to get used to Anticlockwise = focus farer and vice versa. Once it becomes 2nd nature you wont get confused. But still i dont think any amount of practice will ensure long distance smooth zoom ins and zoom outs as ive experienced.