Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:18 pm 
Was wondering how much continuous recording time I'd have with say the Canon T2i? I know recording time depends on several factors like 720p vs. 1080i, and also what memory card you're using, but lets say I was recording on 720p at 24-30fps with a 32GB SDHC card? How long do you think I'd have? Most of my recording will be done for YouTube and the camera will almost always be on a tripod. Thanks :D

Last edited by clangille on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 pm 

Please use a normal font, making it bold is not really neccesary :)

I think most DSLRs can only film for 5 minutes due to some tax restriction. from what I've understood, everything that can film over 5 minutes is classified a camcorder, which means extra taxes, which makes it more expensive to ship internationally.

My Nikon D90 only does 5 minutes at a time (you can just press record again though), and the same goes for the D5000 (and I think the D300s and D3s too).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:50 pm 
Why would you comment or even care that I used a larger font size? How is that relevant to the question? That's pretty anal of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:13 am 

i believe most of canon's cameras can record up to 30min or 4GB filesize whichever you reach first.

but you probably would be looking at around 20min at 720p 30fps before the filesize reaches 4GB.

Canon 50mm 1.4 USM, 100mm F2.8 USM, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II,
16-35 F2.8 L 24-105 L IS USM

Sigma 300mm F2.8

Canon Pixma PRO-9000 MKII

and a 17-40 F4L in a hundred little pieces

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:10 am 

I don't think the T2i can do 720p at 24/30 fps; it can only do 50/60fps at 720p.

By the way, using bold/large font size makes it seem as if you're shouting and can be considered disrespectful by some. He was just saying that it's not necessary to use large text, and I agree. Using normal text can get your message across just as well. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:53 pm 

If you haven't already, I suggest you read a book or at least a few websites about netiquette. The Internet has many etiquette rules, and if you don't follow them, people will teach you how to behave properly. In general we presume people do it because they don't know, so we tell them. Excessive use of bold or caps indicates yelling or shouting or an egotistic individual who thinks too highly of themselves. None of those are very appealing to read.

But back to the main subject. I have a Canon T2i and the theoretical max is 30 minutes of record time or 4 GB. I haven't tried at 720p, but at 1080p 30 fps that gives me about 12 minutes before I reach 4 GB. Afterwards, I have to wait a few seconds for the buffer to clear, and then I'm good to go for another 12 minutes. At 720p, probably the limit would become 30 minutes instead of the 4 GB.

After a few of those, the camera starts complaining about the heat. But maybe that's only because I'm currently visiting in Mexico, I'll see if it keeps doing that when I'm back to Canada next month.

I currently have a 32 GB SDHC class 6, which is what the booklet recommends, but I see a major flaw: the camera lets me record images while it's recording video. With a class 6 memory card, if I take 1 or 2 pictures, the buffer runs out and the video stops. Next on my purchase list is a class 10, which this country doesn't seem to be selling. But from the description of it, class 10 SDHC or SDXC cards were made to record video + take photos at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:08 pm 

Because there is no need to make your post stand out, and it makes it tougher to read, and it stretches the page out, ruining the layout. That's why ;)

You're welcome by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:30 pm 
Wow, sorry for using larger font. Didn't know people perceived it as shouting. I thouht it would be easier to read :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:35 pm 
It's aqsually a rule on most forums to not shout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:09 am 
4GB is the maximum. That's the limit for the filesystem the memory cards use.

Maybe if you plug in your camera to a computer and have it store the video directly on the hard drive you can get over the 4gb limit, but I've never tried it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:44 am 

Welcome changille to the Camera Labs forum.

MOD:
Clangille, I'd like to ask you to reduce the font size of your post above. Posting with larger font doesn't work to your advantage here on Camera Labs, it won't make more people answer your post and, as you might have noticed, it won't make the replies any better. As mentioned before, posting with such large font (or indeed bold font) is considered shouting and rather impolite.
If you'd also please change the font size in the other thread you started in the "Buying a new camera but undecided on brand"-section, that'd be much appreciated.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:20 pm 
my apologies. was not aware of that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 pm 

No harsh feelings here, sorry if my initial response was a bit rude, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:03 pm 
@ Citruspers

Likewise :D