Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:24 am 

OK let me start with Hi, I'm New to Camera Labs Forum ,It seems more and more people are using DSLR for Video but all to often i hear " Great picture and great Lenses BUT the sound is quite honestly S*** " and thats a quote from a Canon 5D II owner (not me) but not only Canon , Nikon too have poor audio even with an external mic if you can use one ,as not all cameras have a mic input, so What is the answer?
I myself have been recording sound seperately for several years for slide audio overlay,sound on video and now sound on DSLR Video,back when i was starting it was a small 35mm and a Cassette Recorder with mic,from there to DAT (old and tattered 2nd hand thing) then onto MD and HI-MD PCM and now a Tascam DR 100 all these were i might add at the Budget end of the ranges.
So what do you use ?
You have a DSLR and Record Video ,What about your audio ?
is it an Edirol R 09,a Tascam DR100,a Zoom H2 or H4n or more pro kit like the Sound Devices 442 mixer and 722 recorder with a selection of mics?
I would love some feedback on this subject, be it a ZOOM or Sound Devices setup
All the best Tony (UK) :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/outithewood ... hRTCgR1pLI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYZmOj9Y8_0
Video 1 is me Testing the homemade mic for bad weather use
Video 2 is the Test Video for Mike Dixons Stoneage Bushcraft.Com
Now guys when commenting please remember nearly all the kit is Homemade or modified consumer gear .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tony, welcome on-board!

It's an interesting question, but since it's not a specific user review, I've moved it into the video and movies section.

We can continue the audio discussion here, but please feel free to post reviews of your own audio equipment in the User reviews section. Thanks!

Continuing this discussion, I recently bought an AKG C1000S microphone following the recommendation of another forum member here. The thing I really like about this microphone is it can be powered by an internal 9-volt battery instead of needing a seperate phantom power source. The first project I used it on was my Canon EF-S 15-85mm lens demonstration, and the audio was a big improvement over the internal mics of my camcorder. Yes, I know I'm not using it with a DSLR, but it will connect to any model with an external input (so long as you have an XLR to 3.5mm cable adapter).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:21 pm 

I'm starting to get my hands wet on the topic of audio, so I am very interested on hearing (or reading, hehehe) what other people with knowledge and experience have to say.

So far, I have a Rode Videomic and H4N recorder, would love to hear about other people's experiences and tips!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:44 pm 

Hi Gordon and anyone who is reading this thats fine mate , i didn't know where to post this topic ,so Chears for giving it the scope to breath :D
OK i just re edited a clip of a waterfall and small stream from Dartmoor the Before and the After ,where the audio was captured on the TASCAM DR100/Rode NT1a & Sennheiser Shotgun in 2 Ch MONO the audio was Recorded today .The Video was done last year with the Rode Videomic camera mounted which has since Broken (Cheap Plastic pile of Poo) insides soon to be used in another project..
So you tell me if its worth mic'ing up and spending a little more time on the audio and this was done on "Win" Movie Maker in about 20 mins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjaruB344sI
Now just think given a DSLR like a 5D II a nice piece of Glass and a Field Recorder the sort of result you would get.
TASCAM DR 100/Rode NT1a/Sennheiser Shotgun/Sony HDR-UX3E 1080i Camcorder how about that for a budget production all leads , Power supply,wind & Weather protection made by me in the Shed :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:37 am 

I agree, the second part of the video is definitively much better!

Post subject: murdockcrc Thank you
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:29 am 

murdockcrc
Thanks mate,, I'm still playing with a few ideas but its all for the fun of it you dont want to take things too seriously eh :D and i dont have several Thousands of pounds worth of edit kit to play with either its capture a little edit and see what it looks and sound like.