Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:37 am 

This is a quick "unskilled" review of the best $10 I've spent in a while, the ZehBounce card. (http://zehbounce.com/zehbounce.html I have young kids and we take a lot of photos indoors. Birthdays, holidays, our crazy cat, you name it. I'm trying to learn as I go with my T3i. While I'm no where near the level I want to be with my camera, I do know I'm tired of the bright white flash drowning out color and just making shots look bad. Anther big reason is I don't have a lot of money to spend on a nice external flash.

Bullet list of reasons why I bought it that might match your own needs:
  • Wanted to take better flash pictures indoors
  • Inexpensive (kids trump camera when payday arrives)
  • Extremely portable (it's flat when not in use and slides easily into the back of my bag)
  • Seemed Effective given the limited reviews I found for this and similar devices

My Results:
I must admit I was completely shocked how effective this was in my home (I have std 9ft ceilings). Rather than try to sound like I know what I'm talking about I'll just let the photos speak for themselves. I decided to take photos of a few items I had on hand near my dining room table (see below). I tried to find items with varying shapes, sizes, and materials. All were taken about 3ft from the subject while I was sitting with my elbow on the table for stability. The room wasn't pitch dark but it wasn't bright enough to shoot anything without flash as the only light I was working with came from adjacent rooms. These were taken with my kit lens (EFS 18-55 IS II) with IS and AF on. These have not been post edited. I shoot in RAW format and did a batch convert with Canon's Digital Photo Professional to JPG with a 50% size reduction to help with the upload speed.

A "gotchas" of sort
You'll see in some of the photos 2 bright white corners. These were shots at a bit wider angle that seemed to allow the on-camera flash to leak around the edges. It was either that or additional reflections of light of other walls, picture frames, and now that I think of it, a mirror that while behind and facing perpendicular to my position might have thrown it. Either way, watch using this with really wide angle shots. This is probably why some other on-camera bounce devices wrap around the flash unit to help mask this bleeding effect.

Photos:
ImageCan_RegularImageCan_ZehBounce

ImageBag_RegularImageBag_ZehBounce

ImageCandle_RegularImageCandle_ZehBounce

ImageGlassBowl_RegularImageGlassBowl_ZehBounce

Some final thoughts
I have since tried this with my "new/old" EF 50 f/1.8 Mark I that I got for a steal on eBay. A very nice lens as my first prime lens experience. The wide angle issue with the flash bleeding isn't as apparent unless I'm really trying to get a wider shot with the lens. This is still the best $10 I've spent in a long time. For anyone wanting that external flash advantage who has the same lack of funds for said external flash this is something you really should look at.

-Kirk