Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:31 am 

Hi guys,

I'm toying with the idea of getting the 430 EXll for my 60D. Predominantly I take landscape photos but I'm wanting to take more portraits and as an upside I've heard some landscape photos can be helped with a flash too.

I've read a few reviews and it seems the 430 EXll does everything I think I will need it for, I know it cannot be a master and only a slave but I cannot see myself requiring any additional flashes for quite some time as I still have a lot to learn.

I've heard from many people that once you add an external flash and work out how to use it, it can help a lot with so many of your photos. My question is, I do not really use the standard flash that comes on my 60D. Should I master this first and then look to an external flash thereafter? or just dive right into buying an external flash. Price wise they seem relatively affordable.

What was everyone's experience after buying their first external flash? and even better if they bought a Canon 430 EXll?

Thanks
Richie

photography by [ fresh ]
beach, travel & street photography
http://www.facebook.com/photographybyfresh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:10 pm 

Syl Arena's book on Speedliting is highly recommended. He recommends starting with a 430EX II and a long off-camera cord, if starting with off-camera flash on a budget. (Syl does not like the ST-E2; he recommends the long cord option.)

I was lucky to start with a 580EX, that my wife acquired along with a pre-owned XTi/400D, so I have no experience with a 430EX. I have since added a second 580EX, a Nissin Di866 II, an ST-E2, and a 580EX II. Using off-camera flash does produce much more pleasing results than the pop-up flash! Even when used on-camera, in the hot shoe, however, an EX-series flashgun is an asset, especially if using wide-angle lenses. The angle involved, with a wide-angle lens and the pop-up flash, results in a shadow at the bottom of the image, cast by the camera and/or lens itself.

To be clear, I need the extra power for night shooting, sometimes needing to light a large area. A 430EX II may be plenty of lighting for your needs.

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:28 am 

Thanks Rex, have bought a 430 EXII, so watch this space!!

photography by [ fresh ]
beach, travel & street photography
http://www.facebook.com/photographybyfresh