Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:15 pm 
i'm in the market for my second flash, i wanted to buy another vivitar 285HV but i'm not going to do that because shipping from the US costs as much as the flash itself.
so i'm going to get another cheap and reliable flashgun, any tips? what would be best to combine with the vivitar? i don't care if it's an older or incompatible for on-camera flash because this one will be for off-camera use only. if nikon flashes are compatible with the vivitar and PW's, i'm up for it.
any tips on what flash to get? the cheaper the better, with full manual controls of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:16 pm 

Did you consider the GadgetInfinity stuff? They sell cheap manual flashes. Shipping isn't too bad I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:55 pm 
checked it out right now, ebay still looks like the best option. just don't want stuff from overseas. checked out the cactus kf-36 flash which is basically a replica of the vivitar 285HV i have at home but it's only from the US. any other flashes you might recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:07 pm 
what about older canon (maybe even nikon) flashes? i was checking out the 540EZ right now... costs 70€..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:05 pm 

Zack Arias seems quite fond of nikon flashes, since they also have sync ports. Something like an...SB-80 would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:16 pm 
would the sb-80 work well along with my vivitar, both on PW's?

edit: just checked it out, 150€?? damn.. that's 2 viitar 285hv's with shipping..
i was hoping for the older nikon or canon speedlights to be a lot cheaper..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:44 pm 

Well, the SB-80 probably does TTL and all the other automagic stuff, so that explains it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:37 pm 
yeah i guess so.. so basically i'm lost again. is there no european flash for around 50-80€ that's only manual like the vivitar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:23 pm 

Well, not european but DealExtreme has a nice (and cheap) array of options. Cheap stuff, with free shipping. It's not a scam site by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:07 am 
can't seem to find a cheap manual flash over there, and the "world wide free shipping" really looks like it shouldn't be trusted to be honest..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:45 am 

I directly know several people who ordered stuff there and everyone got their gear so...

34 dollars for an adjustable flash isn't that bad, is it? That's 2 flashes for one vivitar. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32979

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:16 pm 
actually the one you linked is an auto flash - not adjustable, it would just shoot on max power with PW's.. but there is an adjustable one for a bit more.. still pretty cheap though..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:22 pm 

doesn't the dial on the back let you set the power? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:34 pm 
i'm looking at the picture right now, seems like there's no power indication, just a dial from "on" to "max"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:14 pm 

I use one of these and it does quite well. It was designed to BE a 285HV in terms of power, and it's operation is really simple. Uses 3 different methods of triggering: optical, PC sync, or miniphone sync. The only issue with it sometimes is the fact that it doesn't go down LOW enough on power, but other than that it's a great piece of kit. Mine's even survived a fall from 2 metres onto asphalt and was able to be snapped back together (pretty much all pressure-fit construction). MPEX ships worldwide as well, but you have to email them for the shipping quote :)

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr