Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:44 am 

Razvan, indeed, but you used flash to fill in the shadows, not as a main light source. The portraits are great!

Neil, Think of a softbox as a .... box of light. The light bounces around internally and hits the white cover, creating a large equal (soft) light source. It's pretty much the same concept as an umbrella, except that it's more directional, and loses less light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:52 pm 

Surely a softbox can only be used in a studio or on a dedicated organised photo shoot. Would the gary fong diffuser be good for on the go snappy photography?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:54 pm 
Quote:
Would the gary fong diffuser be good for on the go snappy photography?

It's really like I said before Neil....the gary fong is great for portable usage. If you are just walking around without a real set of gear, just a camera and a flash..It's a nice tool to have with you.

You don't have to lug around umbrellas and studio lighting when you're just going for a walk in the park with a friend and you're using them as your subject...or whatever subject you may need the flash for.

It's nice, portable and easy to attach or detach if you don't want to use it.

But again, this is just my opinion, it really all depends on what you're trying to accomplish and what kind of picture taking you're going to be doing.

I like the diffuser and I stand by it, it's definitely been helping me for what I've been using it for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:12 pm 

Thanks for info pete. Looks like I've got alot of practicing to see when i should and shouldn't use the diffuser. Hearing all things about bouncing light, making walls, ceilings my light sources and much more. Its a whole new world to try a get my head around! Thanks for your help guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:27 pm 

Call me cranky but I still don't believe the whole lightsphere adoration. There's also hotshoe softboxex you know, for when you can't bounce:

I'm sure the lightsphere has it's uses but, I repeat, it's not the holy grail. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:56 pm 
Citrus,that's the whole point of the gary fong cloud diffuser,to get rid of the shadows. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:26 pm 

To be honest, if i can get nicely well lit photos of people without the harsh light and harsh shadows I'd be happy!
i'm not a pro but would still like to take the best photos i can with the equipment I've got.