Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:52 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Carnival at Night
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:08 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: New York, US
So there's this carnival right outside my window and I went to go take some pictures. I could have gotten better ones with a tripod but I settled for lying my camera on top of my car instead.

Image
EXIF:
f/29
Exposure 1.6 sec.
ISO 1600
55mm
0 step
Image
EXIF:
f/36
Exposure 3 sec.
ISO 1600
55mm
-1.7 step

Image
EXIF:
f/36
Exposure 5 sec.
ISO 1600
55mm
-1.7 step

Comments and criticism is welcome. This was my first serious night time photography and I've learned a little about it. Any tips would be helpful. The only post processing done is a crop and a soft light layer in photoshop to get rid of the high ISO grain.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:20 am 
I love the wheel in the right in pic. 1 and 2. Looks very cool :D


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:36 pm 
The last photo is the answer to the UFO problem on our planet. :D This is how anyone can photograh "aliens".


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:08 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: New York, US
Razvan wrote:
The last photo is the answer to the UFO problem on our planet. :D This is how anyone can photograh "aliens".


Good idea lol, maybe I could make some money off that picture? Haha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:03 am 
I'm interested in your shooting information :lol:

It seems like you were trying to get the longer exposure by stopping down that aperture that small, and by putting the exposure compensation down by -1.7.

But then ISO 1600?

:)


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:08 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: New York, US
Sdrummer wrote:
I'm interested in your shooting information :lol:

It seems like you were trying to get the longer exposure by stopping down that aperture that small, and by putting the exposure compensation down by -1.7.

But then ISO 1600?

:)


I learned once I took a better look at the photos that I could have gotten a better result from a lower iso... Now I know. :lol: Like I said, first time really doing anything at night.

But what I did, was I put it in shutter priority and made it a long shutter time. My camera automatically closed the aperture because it was getting too much light... I should have thought of turning the ISO down but I didn't think it would matter too much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:21 am 
Shagrath wrote:
Sdrummer wrote:
I'm interested in your shooting information :lol:

It seems like you were trying to get the longer exposure by stopping down that aperture that small, and by putting the exposure compensation down by -1.7.

But then ISO 1600?

:)


I learned once I took a better look at the photos that I could have gotten a better result from a lower iso... Now I know. :lol: Like I said, first time really doing anything at night.

But what I did, was I put it in shutter priority and made it a long shutter time. My camera automatically closed the aperture because it was getting too much light... I should have thought of turning the ISO down but I didn't think it would matter too much.


Hey no worries at all. You did fine.

Just remember to keep your ISO low unless you need to, and to try to keep it low especially in long exposures.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group