Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:59 pm 

When the rain keeps pouring down for hours on end you get the feeling that it's going to tear the world down.
I fond a nice equivalent of this feeling when I looked through the windows of our holiday appartment. But trying to catch what you see with your eyes through the rain-streaked windows is not easy: You got to have the right proportion of the rain-streaks and the subject behind the window. In my case it hase a lonely house on a dune a few hundert meters away and another architectural structure a little closer. See the exact data below each photo.

Sigma 400mm at f/22(!), 1/60sec, ISO 200, -1EV, distance to window: 4m

Sigma 150 at f/16, 125 sec, ISO 200, -1EV, distance to window: 6m

There are a lot of parameters that determine how sharp the background object is and how large / coarse the rain-streaks look. I was also very surprised by how much the sight changes with each new wave of rain hitting the window.

So this is a very interesting occupation on rainy days - unless you own a studio and shoot portraits of a beautiful young model that is :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:51 pm 

Nice weather... Just like in Denmark :)

I've noticed that you use prime lenses a lot, is that all you use? (Not that it doesnt work, cause it deffinitly does :wink: )

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:22 pm 

I have some zooms, but the rest is fixed focals esp. in the tele-photo range because I haven't found yet the ideal long tele-zoom: AF-S 70-420 f/4.0 VR :wink:
As to shooting rain, my method is complementing the other ideas in the article "The Nikonians On Location #31 - Rain" here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:37 am 

Interesting. I have considered to get some primes myself, just can't really figure out if it's the best way to go when you have a very small budget. But thanks :)

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:21 pm 
Nice picture, definetly like the first one best.
I tried to that too, in a car. Didn't go quite good (;