Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:31 pm 

My first foray into black and white photography. This was taken on a bright sunny day, on my new Sigma 28-200mm lens. The lens itself is fairly old and cheap, but I've found it to be a lot better than the Sony kit lens :)

ISO 100
F/13
1/125 sec
18mm

Contrast was increased and then I hit the convert to black and white button in Paint.NET

What could be better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:01 am 
Taken at 18mm on a 28-200? Odd.

Here's the constructive criticism you asked for:

Technically slightly odd with the aperture as well. The image isn't large enough to search for diffraction but you might have been better off with a larger aperture of f/7.1-11. The DoF doesn't have to be very deep for this image when you're focusing at infinity. If you were using a hyperfocal technique then maybe the f/13+ might have been alright.

It's also not the most ideal image to be translated into monochrome - there's a relatively narrow dynamic range across the frame - so regardless of whether you push up contrast, it won't have much. To guage whether an image has great potential for monochrome, you will have to imagine tones and contrast across what you're framing whilst in colour. This usually takes practice.

Your image also needs straightening by several degrees. It's not the perspective that throws this off - have a look at the level of the water or railings along it.

The focal point I guess is the canopy of the station, but again because of the lack of contrast you don't get a great impact that it is the focal point. What snatches attention away is the railway bridge to the right. The problem with the bridge is the placement. It would make a fantastic leading line had you placed it closer to the corner of your framing, but as it stands in the middle of a side of the frame, it's a very weak line.

I don't think I've mentioned many positives, and I can't really find any other than what could be a promising subject. The Canary Wharf station can provide some interesting architectural photography - just not from the angle you chose. You have a whole month to improve and submit a much better image into the assignment. I hope there are things to take away from my words.

Good luck.