Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:24 am 
Well I went for a drive to docklands in Melbourne last night in the hope of taking a photo that I could enter into a Newspaper photo competition where the theme wasDockland, and the objective was to cature the essence of docklands. However, none that I took capture anything that really screams docklands when you see it.

Though I like this one.

Unfortunatley its just another building photo and not something that (as I said just b4) screams DOCKLANDS!!! haha.

Enjoy,

Jay...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:28 pm 
Hi Jay,

Nice shot. Taking it when the lights are on and the tilt of the perspective makes it quite dynamic for "just a building shot" .

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:26 am 
Great shot!

Well done.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:37 am 
I never been to Melbourne, but that is a very nice looking building i must say, should go back to the same spot every night and get multiple shots and i bet you will end up with all the lights lit in the windows which would be something very unique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:03 pm 
Very nice!

Outstanding exposure. So much so it looks HDR like.

I like the perspective and the amount of ground you captured. Love the blue gradient on the left against the sky - what is that? Is there a neon lining the roof edge or some such?

Only thing I don't like is the tightness of the top of the building, what with it having very little margin.

I'm going to get the 18-200mm Nikkor too. What focal length did you use? Shutter speed, aperture and ISO?
How have you been finding this lens?

Was the shot taken on the north or south of the river? Either way it's very close to my Dad's apartment (north side). Here's a shot taken from his balcony. This was my first night time long exposure.

Taken with a ~5 year old Canon Ixus IIs compact (4s, f/3.5). Yes, it's quite flawed. :)

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:47 am 
raymo wrote:
Very nice!

Outstanding exposure. So much so it looks HDR like.

I like the perspective and the amount of ground you captured. Love the blue gradient on the left against the sky - what is that? Is there a neon lining the roof edge or some such?

Only thing I don't like is the tightness of the top of the building, what with it having very little margin.

I'm going to get the 18-200mm Nikkor too. What focal length did you use? Shutter speed, aperture and ISO?
How have you been finding this lens?

Was the shot taken on the north or south of the river? Either way it's very close to my Dad's apartment (north side).

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. Raymo, the details for the shot are as follows: focal length 22mm, exposure 15sec, aperture f11, ISO 100.

The blue glow on the left side is a building in the distance that had some sort of fog/security lights lighting up the complex/property.

The 18-200mm is a trusty lens, very versatile. You can see this on my flicker page, i have various styles of photos but ALL taken with the 18-200mm. However, with its handyness (is that a word) comes elements that hold you back. It not a fast lens by any stretch, and at first it might not seem that big a deal but for me it has come up more than a handful of times where it just doesn't perform coz of low light conditions.

I would say pros out way cons by a fair way but let it be known there are cons. Regardless of the lenses I buy in the future I'll be keeping the 18-200mm purely coz its handy in most situatations and saves you alot of time.

thanks again for the comments,

cheers.