Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Urban Beach
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:48 am 

Last year, my neighbor was having a graduation party, and literally out of the blue their above ground poll broke at the back spilling out and flooding their yard. We totally drained ours and took the liner out to make sure there wasn't a lot of rust so our won't burst. I took advantage of the sand and shot a picture I like to call "Urban Beach"

Alex, what do you think of that watermark, modified you're tutorial a little.

I should also mention that image is HDR'd 3 exposures.

Critique it.
Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:08 am 
The image is a tad dark and you probably know this as well. Its quite a shame that the box is a bit cut out and that the blue thing remains, on the grounds sort of doesn't go with the color code that you got flowing there. And what is that thing behind the chair is that an arm?

You dont have an external flash unit do you Jake?

Yeah i m loving the new watermark, the tutorial was alright wasn't it? what modification's did you do?

all the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:28 am 

As for what I did, I think I added a white streak water mark.

No Don't have an external flash, don't have a shoe on my camera, but when I get my 40d I plan on buying a couple canon speedlights or Nikon SB-800's and some pocketwizards.

The blue thing is a car window reflector thing, and I had my lightstand on that so it didn't get sandy, and believe it or not, (didn't notice it) that thing behind the chair is my leg, I was spraying the glass with water.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:40 am 
First of all, thanks for sharing.

I'm not too certain as to what you were trying to capture, but the chair seems to be the subject. Perhaps you could get a view point closer to it, or at the same distance as this but with a lower viewpoint for more interest.

It's definitely underexposed, and the HDR effect hasn't carried through. What 3 exposures did you combine?

Finally the watermark looks alright (Alex, did you pass on the tutorial I sent to you?) but the positioning in the frame couldn't be any worse. Because it's on a white wall, it would be very easy to clone out if someone wanted to steal an image. The only way to get around that is to sadly tarnish the image slightly and just draw the watermark right across the centre of the image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:49 am 
Ed, i worked on that tutorial that you sent me, but i just couldn't get it to work out so what i did was use it as a guide, tweaked it a bit, and made it into an action so i can just apply it to all my shots very comfortably.

With a transparent watermark like that you can just place it in the middle of the photo, ands its not really a big deal. Change the opacity depending on the image :)