Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ooh hey
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:31 pm 
funny that this topic got started last night, because i was just out taking shots of my apartment complex last night around 10pm.

13 sec bulb exposure @ f11

30 sec @f11

30 sec @f11

my binge has been existing light photography lately - i'm having a good time with it... i even went and dropped a bit of cash on a cable release for my digital and an nd 4 filter just to help out with long exposures. good times.

these were taken on my 20d with the 28-135mm is lens, a tripod, and a cable release. i had the mirror lockup option set so as not to get any camera shake from the mirror

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:29 pm 
Oh, good quallity pictures. I specially like the last one.

Must have been really dark for 30sec exposure?

Where is this (geographically)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:30 pm 
khol - southern california.

i was using iso 100 to keep the noise to a minimum and get the longest exposure possible, there was actually more light around than is typical because of the marine layer being a sky-sized bounce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:37 pm 
Hey .b.,

I personally love these shots, especilly 2 & 3. The lighting is really interesting and the exposure is spot on.
I also like the black framing, the abstract feel of the second photo and the great use of the square arches in the 3rd to further frame the shot and add a lead-in for the viewer.

The look great :) I'm a big fan!
If you have more, I'd love to see them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:59 pm 
andy - thanks so much for the compliments and well thought-out critique!

i love finding stuff to photograph close to where i live, or even in my own home, as i spend alot of time here taking care of my kids. i guess it's one of those 'shoot what you can, where you are' sorts of things and it's challenging my eye and my creativity and i'm growing as a photographer as a result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:12 pm 
:) It's absolutely great to be able to have a critical eye and creative mind and to realize the photographic potential in a certain scene that most would just fail to notice.
I think from these shots (ohhh and especially the one with your daughter and the horse in the other section ... i'm without words but full of emotions for it as it conveys such strong feelings :o it's ... wow) that you definitely have an affinity for spotting great moment.
For me, this is the thing I aspire to the most.

I've also just notice all the small detail in the arches and the building's structure. :) I don't know but these shot are definitely special .. IMO at least!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:22 pm 
andy - the only credit i can give is to God for dropping the shots in my lap and helping me learn to carry my camera with me *always*.

i've missed so many what would have been awesome shots because i simply didn't bother to take my camera along... one shot in particular that really stands out was of an older african american man leaning against the side of a brick building in hollywood one morning. the light, colors, and pose of the subject were *perfect*, but i couldn't get it because i simply didn't bother to have my camera with me that day. i've been doing project 365 this year and since mid-january i take my camera wtih me every where i go, no matter what. of course this means that it gets some more bumps and more wear than it has before, but it also means i *never* miss a shot if i'm paying attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

I like them all, but the second is my favourite - great composition, and I love the way you're shooting long exposures at low ISO...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:51 am 
In my opinion, you're showing one of the most rare and elusive talents - turning something completely mundane into art.

Not only have you applied excellent technique and gotten quality-images - more importantly your composition and "eye" for the subject is superb.

Very impressive b.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:11 am 
Nice shots! Like the second one best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:35 am 

Very nice shots, b.

This is the sort of stuff that makes me want my own tripod :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:44 am 
very nice work........ colour in the sky on the first makes it stand out.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:48 pm 
Wow i love these shots!

Number three is my favourite, the light and shadows give the impression you photographed a stage with the entrance and exit on both sides, very neat

Quentin