Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:22 am 

Just a couple I have taken while learning to use my new toy in manual mode.

Comments and feedback welcome.

EOS650D kit 18-55 lens. F/22, ISO100, 15 sec exp. 0 Step, 18mm.
Shame about the street sign in the bottom right. I was in a group and space was limited

f/13, 30 sec, ISO100, 0 step, 18mm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:07 am 

Hi Coxy,

Nice try, I would suggest doing a search for Dubaiphil shots in this section, I think he has set the standard for night shooting.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:48 pm 

Phil seems to have left and taken many/most of his images with him. His work is very good indeed but I am afraid you won't find much on our board anymore.

Nighttime photography isn't easy, as you're dealing with the hardest of contrast, slow shutter speeds, etc. You have to be selective with the subject of your picture. The first photo you posted, for example, features a very prominent building, but it's cut off on the right of the frame. Also, try to obtain natural colors. The problem with many buildings like the one in your photo is that they are lit with very warm lights, making them appear orange in the final picture. Converting to (or shooting in) black and white might help.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:20 pm 

If I remember correctly that's the Flinders Street Station in Melbourne. I was in that area for 4 weeks for a training course in 2006. Took lots of photos with a P&S back then and had them put on CD while I was there. But I managed to lose the CD somehow when packing my bags and so all the photos were lost. :(

The Flinders Street Station is quite yellow so would look warm in a nighttime picture. The side of the building we can't see is also quite long so to get the whole building in a photo you probably won't see a lot more unless you can go much wider than the 18mm Coxy used.

Tripod: Joby Gorillapod Focus with Ball Head X, Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 with Manfrotto MH054M0-Q5 ballhead

Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:04 am 

Thanks for the feedback all.

Cujo - you are absolutely correct See here: http://blogs.cv.vic.gov.au/flinders-str ... t-station/

The building is very yellow and long.

Bjorn - I will try and convert to B&W and see how it looks

I am really enjoying learning about photography and using the new camera in manual mode. All of the feedback and tips on here are invaluable.

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:14 am 

Bjorn, looks like you are right, I did a search for Phil’s work, what a pity.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:21 am 

Welcome, Coxy. Stick with it, you'll be popping out great night shots in no time! That's not to say that these aren't good, but in the interest of progress...

My fix for the orange building on the top would be to change the white balance on the orange building, but keep the remainder the same. This can be done using a selective edit, or a blend in photoshop of two versions of the same photo with different white balances. This, of course, works better if you're shooting in raw.

The second I'm happy with. The closed aperture gives a nice starry look to streetlights, hey?

A bigger suggestion would be to shoot a little earlier, while there is some light left. 1/2 hour before and after sunset, or likewise, sunrise. Two very different lighting settings, that yield some really colourful photos. I would say that I shoot 80~85% of my landscapes during these two hours. If I'm shooting outside this, its only out of convenience, not choice. But hey, that's just me :-)

Happy shooting, I look forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeve!

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR