Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:34 pm 
I thought someone was messing with a powerful flash down by the pool but it was actually a bit of thunder and lightening. The block opposite me obscured me view of the actual storm but did get one image I quite like

Model Canon EOS 550D
ISO 500
Exposure 15.0 sec
Aperture 5.6
Focal Length 18mm

Curves PP and RAW > JPEG conversion done in Canon DPP

I was having a bit of an issue with the length of time the images were taking to record to the card and I'm not sure why. I had the camera set up on the Magic Lantern intervelometer to continuously take shots but it was taking 15 to 30 seconds to save any images which meant I think I missed a few 'bolts'

I've messed with a few shots from my balcony with this composition. I quite like the way the apartment block adds a context and a colour contrast to the sky. The light source in the 'wind tower' gives a nice bright focal point in the right place.

I've experimented with the colour curves quite a bit on this one and quite like the contrasty saturated colours this has given in this image.

Ok just looked at my google search link from another thread of mine and it has the following headings as a structure for providing critique. This is my first attempt at this so I'd appreciate any feed back both on the image and my evaluation of it. Be nitpickerty, I think my skin is think enough that it wont leave me sobbing into my pillow this eve.

1. Depth of Field and Focus.
I honestly cant remember where I focused on but I'm pretty sure it was the wind tower using live view. Both points of interest, the building and the clouds seem in ok focus.

Exposure.
Apart from the lights in the wind tower everything seems to me likes its exposed ok

Lighting.
The natural lighting on the apartment block is nicely neutral, the lightening in the cloud is adding the bit of drama that I quite like in this shot.

Sharpness.
I'm not very good at judging sharpness but the image looks ok to me from that point of view.

Lines.
Hmmmm, nothing much constructive to say here, not arty farty enough to talk strength from verticals or drama blah blah blah

Colors.
I guess its the colours that I like in this composition and the reason I keep using it.I like the way the warm incandescent lite tones on the building sit against the dark but colder blue tones of the sky.

Composition.
I guess the composition feels reasonably dramatic when I think about it, its not balanced with all the brighter light and structure on the right. There is no foreground but the cloudscape is not just sitting on its own, the building provides depth and perspective to the clouds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:50 pm 

I like the colours and the sky, to be honest it doesn`t look that sharp.
Also consider cropping the left side a bit, doesn`t seem to add much to the picture.

The tower with the light seems to be the main focus, but at that angle it doesn`t stand out enough. Is there a different perspective to take this from?
Did you consider higher iso and higher shutter speed and at 18mm could you open up aperture more?

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:16 am 

Ian

Did you have long exposure noise reduction (I don't know the equivalent name in Canon-speak) set up on the camera? If so, that could be your issue regarding delays between shots.

This is a perfect example of where blending layers would be useful - what software are you using? 15 seconds is really going to blow any artificial light and the surrounding area, which is what seems to have happened around the wind tower. Taking 2 shot for the buildings, and then another series for the sky and potential lighning and subsequently blending could be a more reliable option.

Was it windy? If you had focussed accurately in live view, then the buildings should be looking a little sharper.