Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 pm 

D5000. 16-85mm at 45mm. Shutter is 1/80 and f/10 ISO 100. Camera RAW to JPEG in Lightroom without editing.

Prize for who can guess which town is it. I'm fairly new to photography, so please criticize. Tell me what's wrong and what sould I have done better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:43 pm 

This is nicely framed with the railing leading the eye to the nice light on the building in the distance. The bg tree line intersects the building roofs at what feel like natural points.

I'd say the photo is underexposed and this is especially evident in the dark building on the bottom left.

If you wanted to get into details, then I'd clone out the 'scooter' and 'burger' writing on the signs which don't go with the mood of the image.

Nice shot :)

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:09 am 

Presumably you were using Matrix Metering on this shot?

It's one of those grey winter scenes - lots of snow, light grey clouds and sky with no detail. As a result the camera has metered and slightly underexposed.

You have a few options to hand. You can try using exposure compensation, but that may blow the white in the snow. This will generate more detail in the shadows though, as it looks as if it's clipped on the bottom right.

Another option it to bracket. You should be able to do this without a tripod, but a tripod would help. You could expose for the shadows and then the highlights and put the camera on continual high to blast out the frame in the bracket, with little or no camera movement. This will then allow you to blend either manually in photoshop or by using software like photomatix.

Another option when nature's not playing nice could be black and white. You could overexpose the shot to lift the shadow details, pump up the contrast a little and convert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:28 pm 
Yes, it was with Matrix Metering. Thanks for the hints. I have tried B&W it looks fine, not great, for me.

Winter again only in January now to test these techniques, but thanks dubaiphil, I shall remember them.

Thanks kimchi. Totally agree now that you mentioned the signs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:40 pm 

Which town in Switzerland?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:51 pm 
Thun, some 20 minutes from Bern.