Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:05 pm 

Hey all,

I shot this photo this weekend. It's of Petty Harbour, Newfoundland. There are 3 things that I don't like about this photo - let's see if we come up with the same.

Trevor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:20 pm 

I'm curious how you technically shot this. I don't think I've seen an HDR panoramic before.

HDRs and panoramics are pretty tough shots to pull off successfully. You've actually used both techniques well here though. If you were to put a gun to my head to choose 3 things though...

- some haloing around the buildings on the mountain
- I'd 'shop out the 2 orange buoys on the left
- the buildings have the typical HDR pastel-colouring.

What don't you like?

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:53 pm 
I agree about the buoys, they have to go. The houses look pretty normal for Nfld, not too pastel-ly but not as flamboyantly coloured as I've seen some. I would say one thing might be the snow but that is just me being a Cdn who knows how tired everyone is of snow this time of year in Canada LOL!

Gorgeous shot. Having grown up in Ontario, we just don't have those kind of scenes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:16 am 

Thanks for the comments guys, I won't reveal my 3 dislikes just yet.

Kimchi: It was pretty simple - I just did a handheld bracketing burst, 5 exposures from -2 to +2, then rotated a bit as to have some overlapping and then repeated 3 more times. I used Photomatix to make 4 HDR images, saving the settings I used for the first and applied to the rest. Then stitched them together using DoubleTake. Finally, some edits in Aperture - sharpening, highlights, contrast, and saturation. Voila!

Karsan: Yeah, I'm tired of the snow as well - this shot was a "ok, jump out of the car, take the shot, and then get back to the heated seats" :) Glad you like the shot.