Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Buildings
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:46 pm 

Here are a few shots of an office building I passed last weekend.

Please criticize.

All the photo's where taken with the 16-35mm.
But where edited, I hope to find some time this week to upload the originals to the lens gallery.

With regards Schultze.

Last edited by Schultze on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:34 pm 

I'm liking 1, 3, and 4

On no. 1 it looks as if the sky's slightly blown - one of those European summer's days with 10/10 low cloud cover, little detail in the cloud base and yet bright light. It detracts slightly from the otherwise good composition and symmetry.

No. 3 and 4 are nice - I like the vertical perspectives, and showing the building from a different viewpoint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:01 pm 

I like #1's composition - intersting structure, and nicely symmetrical.

For #2, I'd be tempted to crop a little tighter, shaving some off the left and bottom...so that black rail runs right into the corner of the frame, and slicing away just a bit of that black mass on the left side that feels a bit heavy to the composition overall.

#3 also, maybe just a wee bit tighter crop - I might consider running the right side crop right up to the building.

#4 I like as is. Nice sky...good greytones.

#5 feels ever so slightly lacking in contrast - it feels like it wants to blow out in that window reflection, even though it isn't - it still presents as a bit too hot for my eye, removing some of the contrast detail.

#6 has something interesting in it, though overall I'm not sure I love it...I keep looking at it trying to figure out how it would be better - but can't think of much...so maybe it's OK as is? I'd consider trying it with some distortion correction, just to see if it makes it interesting - maybe losing the bit of building on the right where the walkways are coming over to.

#1 and 4 are favorites - I like those ones just as they are.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:22 pm 

Thank you for you input.

@dubaiphil:
Yes these where taken with a nice gray European sky, but I cant chance much about that.

@zackiedawg:
The comment you put up at #6. I have that a lot of times. I like something so a take a shot at it, but the end result is not smashing.

Here is the last one of the above set.
And one I took on a trip to the sea side.