Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: first attempts at HDR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:10 am 
this is my first attempt at HDR. I used photoshop cd4, any words of advice on how to make it better. hows the composition of the photo?
http://picasaweb.google.com/boozedowner/HDRPhotography#5348185585747126930

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:55 am 
Composition is good, but the HDR effect is quite small.

I am not a pro in HDR, and certainly not in photoshop which requires that you do all the processing of the image yourself. But I have some advices to give you.

First of all, make sure you make a HDR out of 3 different ev images. Best is -2, 0 and 2ev. Then choose automate and merge to hdr in photoshop, and let it make the image for you. Now you can adjust a bar that will affect the brightness and also how the image looks in colors and such. Don't concentrate too much on the brightness, you can adjust that later. Instead concentrate on a HDR look, and make sure you don't blow out colors in some part of the image.
Next click done and then when you have a HDR in your workspace in PS, go to layers and create a new exposure layer. With this layer concentrate on gicing it the right brightness, here you can also adjust offset and gamma correction, by playing around with these bars you can often achieve a more intense looking image.
Those are some basic things I do when I create HDR, other things are hue/saturation and channel mixer to manipulate colors.

Hope my amateur advices can lead somewhere...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:11 pm 
I mostly make my HDR's with Photomatix Pro 3.
It's easier than photoshop, but photoshop can do it more precisely if u know what every slider does :P

some example

I know it kind of dark, but that was what i'm after, so u can really see the sun. This one was made with photomatrix and afterwards i removed some dust (I needed a CCD cleaning :P) in photoshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:16 am 
Hey guys

I've also just starting trying my hand at HDR's too. here are some attempts. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:31 pm 

@ ehsu09: Great pics! Especially the first one is cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:02 pm 
Hi

I don't really think an HDR was necessary for that composition. You just don't have a wide dynamic range on that shot, so no need to make life complicated with an HDR.

You usually resort to HDR's when there are strong highlights and at the same time, very strong shadows, for instance. In your photo, the only "shadow" I can see is the road on the left, which is not that strong. The rest of the picture is evenly lit.

You normally want to get into the trouble of doing an HDR when the lighting conditions make it impossible for your sensor to capture detail on both the highlights AND shadows at the same time, and when filters are not useful because of the nature of the composition.