Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:15 pm 
Mellow Johnny's is Lance Armstrong's bike shop here in Austin, Tx. I have a friend who works there and asked her if I could stop by and shoot the shop. She agreed so I shot this past Thursday evening and Friday morning. I wanted to see it in both dusk and dawn lighting. I also planned to use heavy hdr processing on it. It just 'felt right' for the shop to capture some of the atmosphere in it. I mean, in this shop you have 7 original Tour De France yellow jerseys, and several bikes with a lot of history about them. It definitely feels like more than a bike shop.

Side note: Lance was there the 2nd day I shot. He was in the downstairs Pedal Hard studio getting a workout on the computrainer. I had photographed that area the day before and since it was in the basement and the light would've been unaffected by the time of day, I didn't go down there. :( Would've been great to get some pics if he would have let me (he's very approachable btw). Anyway, let me know what you think. PS - anyone know how to control the blue glow around some objects with Photomatix? Might have to go to another hdr editor...

Lance's Tour of California bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:18 pm 

I'll take one in yellow....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:20 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:09 pm 
Great shots, from a commercial photography point of view! Care to share what camera and lens were used, or even better, put your camera equpiment in your signature???
Well Done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:14 pm 
thanks! sorry - haven't had time to fully set up my profile yet. I used a nikon d700 and a nikkor 20-35 D series lens on these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:39 pm 

Hi Ravenmore, some really great shots you have taken. Like you said it seems to be more than your average bike shop, nice to see Lance`s bike, and big Georges, i would love to have a look round the place. I would have hung around the shop on the day Lance was there, as this man is my hero, such a great sportsman. Anyway, thanks for sharing these photos. :)

sigma 18-200 os lens

All my photos are clickable
my flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27828538@N03/

Last edited by naniani on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:56 pm 
thanks! 'nother treat - one of Lance's TT bikes used in the Tour. One thing I love about this pic is the skyscraper across the street from the shop showing up in the skylight. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:33 am 
Cool I like a lot especially the one with Composition But adding with HDR Effect for my taste is bit unrealistic but Better to see it in original shot.

Thats my 2cents Opinion :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:54 am 
stunning.. awesome... :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:29 am 

The glow/light halos are caused by poor light smoothing. Try setting it a bit higher when tone-mapping, or use the tone compressor instead of the details enhancer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:12 pm 
Adi Zulhusni MarkII wrote:
Cool I like a lot especially the one with Composition But adding with HDR Effect for my taste is bit unrealistic but Better to see it in original shot.

Thats my 2cents Opinion :)

Thanks. I know lot of folks like realism in photograpy. I'm really about manipulating the image to match the mood and effect I want. This bike shop has bikes that have won the tour, along with 7 authentic yellow jerseys. Since I'm a cyclist and a fan of Lance's I wanted the heavy hdr to produce a painterly effect. I wanted to convey the presence I felt in the space if that makes sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:13 pm 
Citruspers wrote:
The glow/light halos are caused by poor light smoothing. Try setting it a bit higher when tone-mapping, or use the tone compressor instead of the details enhancer.

Thanks - I'll play around with those settings. Funny thing - some people actually LIKE the halos. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:22 pm 
btw - as gorgeous as these are on screen, you should see the prints. They look much better printed.