Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Church HDR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:44 pm 
Hi everyone,
I have finally managed to get photomatix, and its great, anyway here is the first result! As usual comments are appreciated, as well as critism!
Thanks

Post subject: Church HDR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:48 pm 
Pod
Its ok i suppose but you need too look and mine to really understand how an HDR should look!! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:58 pm 
Nice one Ed! I haven't done any HDR Works but I will try it on my own soon :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:04 pm 
I like it a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:25 pm 
I think it's a great first attempt. The clouds help keep the halo effect down, but there is still a little. In Photomatix, try pulling your luminance slider all the way to the right. Sometimes that helps keep the halos down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:49 pm 
NurseDiesel1 wrote:
I think it's a great first attempt. The clouds help keep the halo effect down, but there is still a little. In Photomatix, try pulling your luminance slider all the way to the right. Sometimes that helps keep the halos down.

Ok, i'll try that next time i do a HDR, also have just realised that it looks better bigger, so you can have a look at a bigger version here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22996038@N ... 0/sizes/l/

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:56 pm 
The larger version just emphasises the halos.

Fair attempt, but look out for scenes with a wider dynamic range to make the most of this technique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:58 pm 
Photoj wrote:
Fair attempt, but look out for scenes with a wider dynamic range to make the most of this technique.

Thanks for the C&C, any good suggestions of scenes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:00 pm 

Podgeorge,
I have the Photomatix Pro (won it online :D )
This was my first attempt.
Overall it could have been brightened some I think and maybe a differant 3 pics to begin on.

Any chance you could post your starting pic...the original?
I have tried a couple scenery/still life pics since but haven't been very happy with them.
It's pretty complicated I think :?

Yours looks awesome!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:07 am 
podgeorge wrote:
Photoj wrote:

Thanks for the C&C, any good suggestions of scenes?

Shoot at the golden hours for good dynamic ranges (ie. sunrise, sunset). Those scenes translate well into HDR. If not, then try HDR images with ND grads. The key is a separation of lighting between the subject & background. That way you end up with less halos as the HDR strength doesn't have to be applied very strongly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:21 pm 
It's good for a first attempt. Other than halos, though, something you should be careful about (IMO) is making the sky look darker than the landscape, which I think usually looks a bit odd.

I always view HDR as a tool to make a scene more realistic rather than less: to make it look the way I saw it at the time. I am not always successful, but this is what I try to do when using HDR.

A tip for HDR: when you have finished, take a look at the picture and ask yourself "is this what I saw?". If the answer is no, then there is more work to be done.

That is, of course, if you want to make them look realistic. Many people also go for the weird, surreal effects which can be created by over tone-mapping an image. I don't like it, but there's no reason why you shouldn't try it if you want to.

You're not far off realistic with this photo but, as said above, the halos need to be reduced and to me the sky doesn't look quite right.

Coincedently, my first HDR photo was of a church too - in the village of Orton, Cumbria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:37 am 
Nice... I want to start using Photomatix as well. :D