Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:50 am 
D90 or Canon 50-D? That seems to be the choice from some folks I have asked so far. A professional photographer in Charlotte told me to go with the 50-D?
I am a Realtor needing best camera, lens and flash for interior (sometimes dark homes) and outside pics. Had a Canon Powershot G3 that fell today during a photo shoot and now is the time to upgrade to get the best camera for this sort of thing. Any ideas between the Cannon 50-D or the Nikon D90? Much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:56 am 
Both cameras aren't too different when it comes to low light photography. I think the D90 should be cheaper so you could spend the money saved there on a wide-angle lens that will help with interior shots. Both the Canon and Nikon flash systems are good although the I daresay Nikon's implementation of wireless control is better and easier to use.

Looking at the just the camera's alone though, the 50d is the better camera and more inclined towards professional use than the D90 but the I think the D90 should be fine for that sort of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:59 am 

Take into account lens prices as well. Lenses last forever, but bodies change and get updated every couple years. Bodies are relatively cheap compared to how much good lenses can cost you. So choose your body wisely, but keep in mind that the lens is what matters in most situations.

Post subject: Lens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:26 am 
Thanks so much for the input. What lens should I get if I go with the d90? Don't want any distortion that I've seen with some wide angles. I am willing to invest in a good lense. (I broke my camera today due to a lousy tripod. So the add-ons are very important I know!)

Post subject: Re: Lens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:02 am 

jonathan wrote:
Thanks so much for the input. What lens should I get if I go with the d90? Don't want any distortion that I've seen with some wide angles. I am willing to invest in a good lense. (I broke my camera today due to a lousy tripod. So the add-ons are very important I know!)

I think the D90 comes with an 18-105mm VR lens. This gives you both wide and telephoto range. VR stands for Vibration Reduction and it will help you out in low light situations to prevent camera shake. I think the kit lens should cover most of your needs, and the Nikon kit lenses tend to be pretty good. I've got a D40 with an 18-55mm kit lens, and when I'm zoomed out to 18mm there isn't much distortion at all. If there is a tiny bit you can easily correct it in post processing. But 18mm is wide enough to get most normal shots but not too wide as to distort things.

Check out this page where Gordon has done distortion tests on similar lenses. It will show you roughly what to expect out of your lens as far as quality goes too.

The good thing about the D90 is that you can buy a kit package which is bundled with a cheap but decent lens. I think that's the best route to take for what you're going to be doing. You may find that you don't even need to buy another lens, as 18-105 or 18-135 gives you quite a bit of flexibility.

But as others have mentioned if you don't need a high res image (most people don't) then take a look at the D40. It's probably fine for what you're doing. You can save some money on features that you wouldn't use by buying a D40.

Last edited by Shagrath on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:12 am 
Thanks again...The guy at the camera show mentioned a 17 - 50 promaster. Would there be much difference between 18-105 and the 17-50?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:14 am 

jonathan wrote:
Thanks again...The guy at the camera show mentioned a 17 - 50 promaster. Would there be much difference between 18-105 and the 17-50?

If you don't need much zoom you would be OK with a 17-50. Never heard of "promaster" though, so I'm not sure how good it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:22 am 
I think the 17 - 50 was more expensive than the 18-105. Does the 17-50 give you that much more width. Often I do need lots of width when shooting a small room (i.e. a bathroom). Also, they said that promaster 17-50 wasn't motorized but the motor for it was in the camera...not sure if this makes sense, but I am at the bottom of a learning curve on the specs. I know how to take photos, but not much into the details until now that I have to buy something. You mentioned D40 in another forum, so I am looking into that. Thxs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:28 am 

jonathan wrote:
I think the 17 - 50 was more expensive than the 18-105. Does the 17-50 give you that much more width. Often I do need lots of width when shooting a small room (i.e. a bathroom). Also, they said that promaster 17-50 wasn't motorized but the motor for it was in the camera...not sure if this makes sense, but I am at the bottom of a learning curve on the specs. I know how to take photos, but not much into the details until now that I have to buy something. You mentioned D40 in another forum, so I am looking into that. Thxs.

Yeah from what it sounds like a D40 will work great. You probably don't need most of the extra features on the D90. Also, the difference between 17 and 18mm is negligible. I'd go with the kit lens, should work fine and it will save you some money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:27 am 

jonathan,

Please DO NOT post the same question in multiple threads. It's not fair to members who may waste time composing answers already given in the other thread(s) and it contravenes forum rules which state "please only post your question once. Posting the same question in different sections leads to fragmented and inefficient use of resources and member’s time. Multiple questions will be locked or deleted."

I'll lock this one.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]