Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:19 am 
Hi everyone. Today my wife and I ventured off to Newport, Rhode Island to walk along the "cliff walk". The weather was supposed to be nice, but by the time we got there it turned cloudy and windy, but I wanted to do some shooting anyways. Below is my very first attempt at an HDR image. I purchased Photoshop Elements 7 a few days ago and found a tutorial on youtube to follow. I wish the sky in the original wasn't solid clouds, but oh well. Please let me know what you all think.

Also, I made the rookie mistake of not noticing my camera was set to automatic ISO, so unfortunately all the photos I took today came out with a 1600 ISO, so some are a bit noisy when zooming in. I learned that mistake the hard way I guess. anyways, on to the pictures.

HDR

Original

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:47 am 
Hmm. Maybe it's just me, but the colors are just a bit out of control. There's too much purple in that sky and the brick is way too yellow. :?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't tried HDR yet... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:59 am 
i agree, if you really can't fix the colors try doing this one in black and white...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:00 pm 
i see what you guys are saying. I'll try making some adjustments and see what I can come up with. This was my first attempt so I mainly wanted to get the process down. should take less time now to do it. hopefully. :o
thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:33 pm 
I took another shot at an HDR version of the mansion and also made a black & white version. Again, both were done in Photoshop Elements 7. I made the first one below by tweaking the colors and using the gradiant tool, which it seems left portions of the roof with too much color. On the second image I tweaked the colors again and tried using the brush tool which allowed me to differentiate between the two photos better. It seems there also more noticeable noise in the roof of the first image. Anyone else see it?

And just in case anyone was wondering, the tutorial I used was this one here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Dpdrh4NEU

HDR1

HDR2

B&W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:26 am 
I have to say the B&W works best for me. I do see the odd roof noise and it follows through to the eves as well. I do like the second edit as well.
I don't know much about hdr but the process seems to produce some interesting subjects.
Thanks for sharing. Glad you got to enjoy the Masion and the shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:25 pm 

moopey, could you post exif?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:05 am 
Sure thing....
f stop = f/8
exposure = 1/320 sec
ISO = 1600
exposure bias = +1 step
taken in aperture priority mode
auto white balance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:30 pm 

I don't really see what hdr has to do with the picture to be honest...
It looks like you just made a HDR out of one picture? To me, this effect could have been achieved also with just upping the saturation quite extremely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:38 pm 
I think the black and white looks much better.

I'm from the camp that thinks that HDR is overrated and could be the root of all evil. Okay, that's a bit over the top but I'm not a fan of HDR as I think many people tend to over do it.