Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:56 pm 
This is my first attempt at hdr so feel free to comment and correct me if I 'm doing something wrong. This pic was shot in San Juan Puerto Rico and I used one image in raw format and then produced the varius exposures.

Did another one , I think it is better than the first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:13 am 
Thanks for sharing royraiden.

I'm not a big fan of HDR, mainly because I'm just not sure that it adds anything to a photo in 90% of the cases. So I won't say much about yay or nay to the HDR, but I will point out that the 1st shot has some halo-ing around the buildings in the top left of the frame.

Compositionally, they both lack a subject. You always want something in the photo that will immediately draw your attention, i.e. the subject. In the 1st photo it's hard to see what the subject it. In the 2nd one, I'm not sure whether you intended it but the sky ends up standing out more than anything.

Don't let this discourage you. Keep practising :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:11 am 
While I agree that there's something missing in the 1. shot, I wouldn't say the second one doesn't have a subject. The perspective and the clouded sky are subject enough for my taste. In fact, i like the 2nd shot a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:20 am 
pgtips wrote:
Thanks for sharing royraiden.

I'm not a big fan of HDR, mainly because I'm just not sure that it adds anything to a photo in 90% of the cases. So I won't say much about yay or nay to the HDR, but I will point out that the 1st shot has some halo-ing around the buildings in the top left of the frame.

Compositionally, they both lack a subject. You always want something in the photo that will immediately draw your attention, i.e. the subject. In the 1st photo it's hard to see what the subject it. In the 2nd one, I'm not sure whether you intended it but the sky ends up standing out more than anything.

Don't let this discourage you. Keep practising :)

Thanks for pointing out my mistakes that is why I really wanted rather than just an opinion on the HDR thing.Now that you metion it , I also notice that a subject is missing in both shots.At least in the second one I wanted to just play with the building roof lines in contrast with the sky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:23 am 
Nostrum wrote:
While I agree that there's something missing in the 1. shot, I wouldn't say the second one doesn't have a subject. The perspective and the clouded sky are subject enough for my taste. In fact, i like the 2nd shot a lot.

Thanks Nostrum.I will post some more pics and I really expect them to be better than these two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:56 pm 
Actually I never understood single RAW HDRs. But again I don't have any experience with general HDR photography. From what I've understood:

The goal is to have more dynamic range (Bracketing to have more EVs). If you have only one RAW file, can you just tweak it in Photoshop to achieve the same result?

I like both shots. The first one is a little unnature but the contents look interesting. I would like to see more HDR shots from you, as well as multi frame HDRs if you know how to make them.

Best Regards,
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:09 pm 
chickenflavoredchips wrote:
Actually I never understood single RAW HDRs. But again I don't have any experience with general HDR photography. From what I've understood:

The goal is to have more dynamic range (Bracketing to have more EVs). If you have only one RAW file, can you just tweak it in Photoshop to achieve the same result?

I like both shots. The first one is a little unnature but the contents look interesting. I would like to see more HDR shots from you, as well as multi frame HDRs if you know how to make them.

Best Regards,
Tony

Thanks for your comment.Im buying a tripod during this week or maybe the next one and I will be happy to try some HDR shots using the traditional way , I believe they will come out even better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:05 pm 
chickenflavoredchips wrote:

Best Regards,
Tony

And yes, using only one raw file you can use software to produce the different exposures and it is really easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:27 pm 
I actually prefer numer one over number two

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:18 pm 
I personally love HDR's. I do them a lot to really capture the sky and bring out details in objects. These are great, and the side benefit of vibrant colors is always a plus. Good job on both! :)