Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pillar
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:59 am 
Nikon D60 18-55mm F/5.6 1/10s

I took this in one of the best hotels in Asia, The Empire Hotel and Country Club. I just started using a DSLR so im a newbie :-) any comments or tips is greatly appreciated,thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:58 am 

Phenomenal shot... I could not have done it better myself... Nothing I see should have been changed!! love the warm color... Beautiful pillar... Wow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:03 am 
Thanks MBrutus2009! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:45 pm 
The first thing I thought when I saw this photo was: "Auto White Balance". The colours are a bit too 'warm' for my personal liking. If this is a place that you can easily visit again you could try re-taking the shot with a custom WB. Check your manual how to do this.

If you shot this in RAW then you should also be able to adjust the WB in this photo but it is not the same as actually measuring the WB on-site.

Apart from that the photo is quite nice. The chopped off corner at the top of the pillars is a minor imperfection though. You could try a few different ways of framing the shot.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:23 pm 
I'm oft associated with harsh constructive comments. No exception here. This is a wasted opportunity and a typical newbie/tourist photograph that has no technical ability.

Here's a mini-dissection:

The pillar is central - it could have been better placed, and here are some examples - placing it along a diagonal so that it's a stronger leading line; framing the pillar with a portrait orientation to elongate the length.

There is too much clutter around the image, despite it being architectural, there is simply a lack of clean or clear lines.

You could have also optimised the DoF - it's in focus all the way through at the moment, but if you had a smaller DoF, you would have less issues with the cluttering.

WB isn't an issue as it appears that although it's warm, the actual lighting was warm.

On the positive side, you do have a fair handholding technique to get that image at 1/10.