Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: MIG
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:13 pm 

Imageg]

EXIF:
Nikon D80 & 35mm f/2.0 lens
1/400sec @ f/8.0 - ISO 100

(edit: re-posted photo)

Last edited by thomasrichards on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:07 pm 
I like it! This is an image that works particularly well in monochrome. Very nice, high-contrast sky! Did you use a polarizing filter?

If you don't mind a couple of suggestions... The subject is of a very dynamic nature, being a fighter jet. So I was wondering if cropping the image slightly so as to put the Mig on one of the thirds would give more of a feeling of motion (I would probably put the Mig on the right-hand side). Also, if you were to brighten the part of the cloud around the nose of the Mig, it might stand out a little more. On my monitor, the nose kind of blends in with the cloud, but it might just be my monitor...

In any case, I think it's a breathtaking image. I can almost hear it roaring into the sky!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:06 pm 

Hi Vertigo,

I did use a polariser ( I think :? )... pretty sure I did.

Anyhow, I tried your recommendations and here it is:

I had darkened the clouds around the nose intentionally as I feel the fighter belongs in the sky and therefor should blend in with it, instead of being separated from it, but decided to edit it so you could see it better.

By the way, glad you like the photo.

(edit: re-posted photo, with-out the crop as I don't have the cropped version anymore)

Last edited by thomasrichards on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:45 pm 

Gorgeous picture! I love the cropped composition and the contrast between the plane and the sky a lot more than the original. That sky is amazing :D

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:58 pm 
Wow, Thomas! That looks fantastic! Thanks for posting your edit.

I hadn't thought about intentionally blending the plane into the sky, but now that you've explained the effect you wanted, it makes sense -- I like that idea. I think both versions are very good images -- I suppose it really comes down to personal tastes. Though, since it is your photo, I suppose your opinion is the only one that really matters. :wink:

Thanks for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:49 pm 

Thanks Plymer... and glad you liked the edit Vertigo.